Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery was stone dead when I went to start the car. I charged it overnight and it fired right up but wouldn't idle at all. I reset the VEC-1 to zeros, and it seemed to idle ok, so I went for a 45 min. ride. All guages were reading fine and the car was running like a top until I got home and shut it down. It wouldn't turn over, and when it finally did start it wouldn't idle again. It is now stone dead again.

First thing I thought was alternator, but the guage was showing 14-15V the entire time I was driving, and it never dipped at all. Is it still possible that the alternator is shot?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Hmm. Well I can explain the initial startup issue... when the battery goes dead the ecm loses its stored information. The car literally has to re-learn how to idle again. I left my V1 on once and ran the battery down and it was a bitch after jump-starting the car to keep it running.

Sounds like your battery won't hold a charge at all, or your alternator is shot (but the gauge seems to dispute that). Thats the best I've got.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The battery is shot. When you're driving it around, your alternater is keeping the charge just enough for you to keep cruising around. The starter puts a huge load on the battery when you're trying to crank over the motor, but since your battery wont hold a charge, there's no juice left to let it crank the motor over. Just get a new battery and you'll be good to go.

You can take it down to any local autoparts store and they will test it for free and let you know if it will hold a charge or not.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Greg:
What year is your Viper? I had this problem with mine after 2.5 years. The factory battery is (as I was informed) not as strong as the replacement battery and it is not unusual for them to die after 18 months. Of course, if your car is much older....well never mind. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
It's the battery. My dad started, well tried to start his 96 the other day and it was dead, we jumped it and it was fine for the drive to the shop, then when we tried to start it up right after turning it off, it wouldn't even start. He has a new battery in it now and it's fine. Get a battery in that bad boy and if your problems persist, well the car to me for $30K and I will even let you win fantasy bb. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks guys. To be honest, it never crossed my mind that the battery could be shot already. I'll put a new one in and make sure that's all it was.

Oh and Nathan, I'll still whip your ass at bb /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
791 Posts
yes....put a battery in it..for some reason dodge vehicles will not idle right or even run corectly if the battery is dead....and the mopar batterys really don't last that...at least not as good as aftermarket... :twocents:..Len

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Greg - It is definitely the battery. I just went through something very similar. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Also, if it sat in a cold garage, DEAD, it could have frozen... in which case it is toast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts