Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/179viperfront.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/179rightturbo.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/179innercooler-med.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/179vipergages.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/179leftturbo-med.jpg[/image]

Very dusty and dirty as my car has been in my bodyshop for months while I am doing this. Lots of clean up and cosmetic work to be done. I plan on triming the fuel at idle this week and then its on the dyno next week! Note the 19" CHROME HRE's and Venom facia I just put on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Now get that damn yellow banana boat running. So I can blow your doors off!!

Sure looks like a nice poser car though sitting in the garage!

Also, what the hell is up with posting photo's so that the pics go 3 feet off my screen?

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Not to be too critical of every fuckin kit out there, but come on, youre pushing my limits of self restraint here. Looking at the hacked up frame, goopy mig welds, crooked intercooler, and galvenized home depot look alike hangers, I feel my dinner tuggin at my tonsils asking for permission to come out and play. I will have seen it all when someone busts out and says "12 months of zero interest with your Home Depot Consumer Credit Card...see store for details".

WAR OFFER ONLY VALID ON PURCHASES $299 AND GREATER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I have a lot of cleaning up to do, No MIG welds only TIG, And they are all purge welded, I am not to concerned about the outside as long as the inside is smooth as I am going to grind and polish the tubing. (if you talking about the exhasut tubing, I am not going to polish that) Those arn't frame rails, just body supports, I am actually cutting them out and welding new metal in when I box in the turbos, and put skid plates on, and yes Mr observant the innercooler was crooked in that photo, corrected before I mounted the fascia. You can't really see it in the other photo. This is not a kit, I don't plan on selling or doing another car, I will give anyone my parts list. Hell if Heffner did gen 1's I would have sent him my car. I am going to have as much into this as he charges for his basic TT gen 2 kit. Shit, should have painted my Lowe's hangers flat black before posing photos.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Dan,

Congrats on the hard work and effort! It's lookin' great! Keep up the good work and post more fotos!

Jay K.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
JGK95 said:
Dan,

Congrats on the hard work and effort! It's lookin' great! Keep up the good work and post more fotos!

Jay K.
I'll second that. It takes balls to go at a project like that all on your own. I hope everything works out like you want. What kind of engine management will you be using to tune the car?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Strongly suggest AEM or Motec!

I've seen what hard work and effort will do for A Man's determination. The results will be worth the time spent on the results!

Jay K.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I have nothing but respect for someone willing to do a kit the DIY way. It's not easy. But I'm sure you'll have great memories of doing the project. Please keep us posted.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/pano/panels/-11855.png[/image]

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm with JGK95 and Tanked!! AAA+++ for effort. This is work in progress obviously, and as you stated needs a lot of clean-up and cosmetic work to be done. So what. Some people just enjoy nit-picking everything! (What's up Smoke!?)
If the final results function as intended, and the turbo job looks half as good as your car does externally, you've got a WINNER in my book.!!!
Thanx for the pics. Keep 'em coming please. I too look forward to your project end summary! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the spit sec PST as well as the TMC1 timing control (with dial inside) I am having some trouble getting the fuel trim (running 55# injectors) They guys at split sec sent me a new program that I hope gets me closer. I am using the GM Tech2 scanner to dial it in. After it gets dialed in and tuned I am taking the turbos back off and cleaning up everyting.

·
13,280 Posts
THOR said:
I'm with JGK95 and Tanked!! AAA+++ for effort. This is work in progress obviously, and as you stated needs a lot of clean-up and cosmetic work to be done. So what. Some people just enjoy nit-picking everything! (What's up Smoke!?)
If the final results function as intended, and the turbo job looks half as good as your car does externally, you've got a WINNER in my book.!!!
Thanx for the pics. Keep 'em coming please. I too look forward to your project end summary! :thumb:
Theres a differeence between the hard core hotrodder whos had pro-street and pro-stock race cars with meticulous fabrication work and tremendous attention to detial. Its not the typical display of ameteur hour around here who couldnt notice good fab work if it crawed up their ass and started scratching. Half of you guys think a "boogered up" do it yourself job is fine as long as it gets the job done....thats almost "mustang owner" mentality. There are others who expect evenly laid, splatter free, uncontaminated TIG welds, AN fittings that are welded correctly, proper gravity feed oil drain from the turbos. We expect a custom made tig welded stainless exhaust manifold. Proper mounting methods for the exhaust, etc etc etc. Every detial should be attended to, from the quality of the fasteners, are they stainless? hex head? High Strength ARP? How is the fuel pump mounted? How are the lines plumbed? How are the lines routed? The list goes on and on. There are those who have an appreciation for good fabrication as the look and quality of the engine and undercarrage is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the quality of the paint and exterior. There are those who appreciate the "no compromises" approach. I will not ever accept less. Its not about "all go, or all show" its about BOTH.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
since when do you weld an fittings? :idea: I have posted photos of my fuel upgrade before, Oil gravity drain is perfect, all 304 ss flex pipe and compressor tubing, even and equal transition to the waste gate and turbos. Yes, it is rough right now, but its hard to work full time, run a body shop part time and still have time to do this. I have minimized bends, purge welded tubing and sized the innercooler correctly. I don't mind criticisms, esp from people that know what it takes to do this yourself.

·
13,280 Posts
dansauto said:
since when do you weld an fittings? :idea: I have posted photos of my fuel upgrade before, Oil gravity drain is perfect, all 304 ss flex pipe and compressor tubing, even and equal transition to the waste gate and turbos. Yes, it is rough right now, but its hard to work full time, run a body shop part time and still have time to do this. I have minimized bends, purge welded tubing and sized the innercooler correctly. I don't mind criticisms, esp from people that know what it takes to do this yourself.
SORRY, the welded part was where I edited mid post and failed to correct it. I meant tapped, or bungs welded...and even there you can be picky about how the bungs look when they are welded. All of you guys ASSUME that I dont know what it takes to do fab work...but then again you havent seen some of the cars that Ive owned in the past....have you?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
damn smokey, did someone go and piss in your chipotle this morning??

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
aye, im looking forward to being introduced to some fine chipotle in dallas next week

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dan, you may have better luck properly tuning the car with a VEC2 from Sean. It actually modifies injector pulsewidth instead of modifying map sensor voltage to trick the pcm. Also would you mind editing your original post so that the thread isn't three miles wide? Good luck.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.