Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a newbie so break me in easy. Does anyone have any tips for shifting the stock T56 for better 0-60, ET's etc.

2-3 is terrible under power in my GTS. It shifts fine when I'm not going for speed. I bought the car new and it has been shifted with care in my presence. Also it stays in 3rd gear so I don't think the shift forks are bent or anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Slam it back into first then to third. Don't worry, you'll bounce off of the rev limiter. Welcome and post pics. Even if it's stock I still like to see em.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's really just a hard tranny to shift. I can powershift the living shit out of almost any car I've ever driven, but I still have a hard time with that 2-3 shift. Just practice going as quickly as you can.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
JID said:
Get the MGW short throw shifter. best $70 you'll ever spend. www.mgwltd.com .

That'll fix your shifting issues.

JD
First do the above. Then use your thumb to feel when Sneaky Pete is warm to the touch - that means your transmission is warmed up (the engine warms up long befire the transmission). Once your transmission is warmed up it will shift much more smoothly and easily. Now you are ready to practice the 2-3 shift faster and faster on public roads that have a 45 MPH or higher speed limit at part throttle. Once you can do that, then it is time to turn on your Valentine One and use more throttle on whatever public street you have closed off to make it your own private closed course. When you've mastered that, grasshopper, go to test and tune night at the local dragstrip and practice, practice, practice.

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
Consider the Woodhouse spring upgrade - it'll center the shifter for a more precise 2-3 shift.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Aftermarket shifter improve the feel somewhat. Consider buying one of these along with the MGW shift knob. Other than that, practice, practice, & practice.
And Welcome, you can learn a lot here, just ask all the questions you need answered after reading some of the past posts. :thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't find the Viper's shifter that bad, but adding a B&M shifter and MGW knob does have a tighter, more solid feel, and I haven't missed a shift on the street or track yet since I swapped it out. But I don't do powershifting.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Alot of people tend to "force" the shifter into 3rd gear while maintaining a firm grip on the shift knob. I prefer opening my hand on a 2-3 shift and simply push the shifter "up" with the palm open and fingers pointing more toward the dash, not touching the shift knob. The simple motion of pushing the shifter up, or forward is a quick motion will automatically let the shifter "find" the gate and it will slip right into third. Try it slowly to practice a bit and see if it works for you. Just palm it!

also, you may have a bad motor mount..... That sometimes causes problems trying to bang into gears and missing the gates.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
First do the above. Then use your thumb to feel when Sneaky Pete is warm to the touch - that means your transmission is warmed up (the engine warms up long befire the transmission). Once your transmission is warmed up it will shift much more smoothly and easily. Now you are ready to practice the 2-3 shift faster and faster on public roads that have a 45 MPH or higher speed limit at part throttle. Once you can do that, then it is time to turn on your Valentine One and use more throttle on whatever public street you have closed off to make it your own private closed course. When you've mastered that, grasshopper, go to test and tune night at the local dragstrip and practice, practice, practice.
Can you powershift while driving in parades?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I looked at the sites above and I could not find the short throw shifter anywhere. just the knobs................not that I mind looking at knobs
MGW only sells knobs, not short throw shifters. But get a knob.....they're cool.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i noticed that too gary ... but jeep did have a legit question, and it looks to me like he did a search and found this thread. He posted in it rather than starting a new one. so he did good. no?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
i noticed that too gary ... but jeep did have a legit question, and it looks to me like he did a search and found this thread. He posted in it rather than starting a new one. so he did good. no?
Yes, but he said that he tried the sited listed and couldn't find the product. It was time to point out that the link was posted almost three years ago, so things could have changed since then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.