Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supra\'s pro\'s and cons

Be honest. Supra owners please respond.

I seen on forsale that made about 1000hp. But it was running mid 10's at 136mph. Why so slow for that much power. Is it the turbo lag? 1000hp viper and you'll be running 9's all day long on pump gas. Also, how much power can a supra make on pump gas?

· Registered
318 Posts
Re: Supra\'s pro\'s and cons

The trap speed depends a lot to do with the turbo size and the powerband is. I have seen A Supra with 860rwhp do 10.10's at 148. The driver also has a lot to do with it, and I believe that the Supra can make around 580 to 600rwhp on pump gas.
PM Houston T. he is the Supra guru on this site

· Premium Member
3,357 Posts

We have one in town making about 700 RWHP on pump gas.

· Registered
92 Posts

Like you and RSI950 said, it is the when the powerband comes in. While it is true that there are a lot of Supras out there that are in the 10s with like 800 hp. But there are several that I know of that have ran low 10s with only like 600 hp. Turbo sizing and trasmission is key for those cars to go down the 1/4 mile.

· Registered
2,138 Posts

A resident expert on Supra's is StreetKing! SW should be able to confirm, as he is one hell of a driver, and has owned and built several kick-ass, very high-HP Supras over the last number of years.

· Registered
465 Posts

Supras can make a shitload of power on race gas. Usually 600rwhp or so is the max they can make on pump fuel. Although there are some people making over 700rwhp on pump with methenol.

1/4 mile times depends on driver just like anything else. 900RWHP supras can run 12s as can 900rwhp vipers. It all depends on the driver of the car..it also has a lot to do with tuning.

Dave
1997 Supra T
1999 Viper GTS S/C

· Premium Member
518 Posts

To me the biggest problem with the Supra is the turbo lag. On my old set up, SW drove mine to a 10.6 @ 144 w/ a 2.02 60ft, my car was making about 8-825rwhp. With a 6spd car they just don't want to get out of the hole unless your spraying it.

· Premium Member
518 Posts

mystic said:
Ryan Woon is running mid 9s on a 6 spd without nitrous...
I didnt say it couldn't be done. Yes, Ryan, Saad, Virtual Works have made it into the 9's without NOS. I should be there myself hopefully this week. If u have AEM and running a 2 step, it does make things alittle easier. But having a good driver always helps. :nod:

· Registered
49 Posts

I had a single supra before with around 650-700 rwhp with race gas it had a 67mm turbo and almost no lagg at all. With pump gas it would produce around 500-560 rwhp but if i ran with my water/alko kit it is like driving with RF, but a lot cheaper. The engine and transmissoin of a Supra is almost bulletproof the stock internals will last to around 750-800 rwhp and the gearbox will hold around 1000hp, its one of the most over enigeneered cars ever produced and thats a fact. But as someone said before they where discounted 1998 because they sold bad and was regarded as a expensive Toyota, after the TFATF prices has gone up for the Supra, i bought mine 2001 and got a shitload more money when i sold it this year.
Pros: rare
good quality
lots of cheap perf. parts(compared to the viper)
very reliable
with upgrades for $1500-2000 it will go 11,8-12,4 depending on
driver

cons: TFATF
expensive for an old car
its a Toyota(not so exclusive)

· Registered
1,501 Posts

The supra has LOTS of potential and if driven properly, can cut amazing ET's and MPH. Cody, SW's pass in your car wasn't "quick" b/c he prolly didn't want to break anything, therefore took it easy off the line. Ryan Woon does NOT use a 2 step of any sort, and consistently runs mid - high 9's at 150 mph without NOS. It all comes down to driver, track, conditions, etc... just like with a high HP viper. Look at Roof's TT car, it makes so much power that it's not driveable at the track, just spins the tires. At 1100 rwhp that car should trap 158 and run mid 9's all day, it's just that they can't get it to hook.

Pros: overbuilt motor with lots of mod potential, rare (more rare than a viper), Toyota quality, turbo! /images/graemlins/smiles
Cons: smaller ci so you have turbo lag, hard to find clean examples with low miles

Peter

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.