Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine is thinking about installing a supercharger on his '02. the shop is also recommending changing the rear end to a 3.55 (?). anyone have some thoughts on this extra mod? personally, i don't see why you would need to do the additional rear end mod with the s/c. that being said, what's the advantage of changing the rear end at all, unless you plan on regularly going to the track or strip?

tia

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
s2racer said:
a friend of mine is thinking about installing a supercharger on his '02. the shop is also recommending changing the rear end to a 3.55 (?). anyone have some thoughts on this extra mod? personally, i don't see why you would need to do the additional rear end mod with the s/c. that being said, what's the advantage of changing the rear end at all, unless you plan on regularly going to the track or strip?

tia
Most people think that, in stock form, the 3.07 gear that the car comes with is too low for practical use on the street, because fifth and sixth gear are useless unless you're on the freeway. Pushing the gearing up for stock-motored cars is a great thing, but on a S/C car with a lot of torque, going with a 3.55 may be excessive. What S/C is your friend installing? A Roe bolt-on kit? If he's going to a very high-hp application, sticking with the stock gearing may be the best thing to do. If it was me, I think 3.45's are a great compromise between stock and the 3.55 or 3.73's with a 5# Roe pulley, but if the car has nitrous on top of it or anything with more power, stick with the stock gearing.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you happened to see the video that's out there of the twin turbo blue/white GTS pulling from a stop, he hits 145 or so in around ten seconds, still in fourth. Didn't seem to hurt not having a lower ratio rear end!

With modest power gains, agree the 3.54's really brighten things up, but you'd need another gear in the quarter if you ran much extra hp. (Translation, lose time shifting to fifth)

I love my gears, but I don't have FI.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I am far from the most powerful car on this board( 700HP+), but getting traction with pilots in 1st and 2nd gear with 3.07's is tough enough. I could not imagine putting more gear in a SC viper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.