Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You can't check resistance when there is a voltage applied to the thing you are checking.(well, not totally correct; but, you have to know what you are doing)
There has to be no voltage applied so that no current is running through it. Typically you would want at least one of the endpoints disconnected so that you are not measuring the resistance of more things in the circuit than you intend to measure (and that also ensures that no current is flowing in the thing you are measuring.)
Ok. I will check resistance with wire cold and then when its hot. I will disconnect the wire prior to testing it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
daaam;4684153 said:
Instead of insulting me, you could have just told me how to check resistance. I like to work on my own vehicle's and I come here for help on fixing my problems.
Didn't insult you at all and I instructed you to take a resistance measurement to help you get started with figuring out your problem Now that you know how to do that....If you would...measure resistance from the back of the alternator to the stud on the fuse block under your hood. You can disconnect the cable from the stud if you'd like to take the reading. If you're running an alternator that's no longer being regulated by the ECU then you need to ensure that the engine block to battery/chassis ground connection is good other wise the regulator will not function correctly. You can measure resistance from the engine block to the negative battery terminal as well and also post that reading here.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You can disconnect the cable from the stud if you'd like to take the reading.
Just be very cautious removing the nut from the stud if it has never been removed before. Make sure that the stud does not turn !!! Quite a few people have had to contend with a loosened stud, and the intermittent that causes and the hassle to fix it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I must be doing something wrong because when I try to measure resistance it just shows all zero's. I see it calculate each time I connect the wires but it shows zero's. I tried checking resistance on the wire itself and also on the post of alternator with wire hooked up and battery post under hood, but it just shows zero's.

I did hook up a new sense wire from my fuse box and it seems to be working decently but I won't know for sure until I can actually road test it, which I won't be able to do until spring as it is snowing here now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope replacing the sense wire works.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I must be doing something wrong because when I try to measure resistance it just shows all zero's. I see it calculate each time I connect the wires but it shows zero's. I tried checking resistance on the wire itself and also on the post of alternator with wire hooked up and battery post under hood, but it just shows zero's.

I did hook up a new sense wire from my fuse box and it seems to be working decently but I won't know for sure until I can actually road test it, which I won't be able to do until spring as it is snowing here now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope replacing the sense wire works.
"0.0" on your meters display is better than "--" when measuring resistance. Any numerical value shown means that there is connectivity between the two points of the wire. The higher the numerical value that is displayed then the more resistance the wire has which means that current doesn't travel as easily through the wire.
Whenever you get more time to play with it post your findings up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts