Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a while back about a noise that resembled a low power steering fluid whine. There was a another thread about a guy asking whether he was geting ripped off for a 200 plus dollar oil change. One of the things he mentioned was "additive" being added. I had that additive added to my "rear clutch?" (as the tech put it) and it cured that woo woo woo whine that occured OCCASIONALLY during turns or banks. No more whine. Symptoms were:

whines during turning especially at low speeds or in reverse without discrepancy to outside moisture, time of day, weight in car, etc. Sounds EXACTLY like power steering fluid being low, but it's a vague location....can't pinpoint it. almost sound slike the frnt of the car.

Get the additive. it works, just as he suspected.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
redsnake, jerome,

This shit bugged me FOREVER and it took time after time riding in the car and him talking to his other techs to determine what it was. I will post it tomorrow EXACTLY WHAT HE ADDED and where he added it. All I know is he said..."yeah, that's exactly what it is" and he added it and it stopped it COMPLETELY. It's a weird noise that I do not miss. He mentioned something about the clutch plates sliding and that the additive was a lube (duh) and it would stop the noise. Funny thing was...the indicator showed that the fluid was full, but he added more which is not harmful in any way and it is so damn quiet now. Jerome, I'll find out first wait....I'll just call him,

....tic toc, tic toc,....

additive to the rear differential that is a mopar product. He doesn't know the product number off the top of his head, but I'll have it first thing in the morning when I make my friday morning round at the shop to bring my viper tech doughnuts, coffee.

it's nice to have his number on my phone. I'll let you know tomorrow the part number.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
I know you are to use the additive but I can't understand why you would need it unless the diff fluid was changed and it was never added after the fact.

If the fluid was not changed and the additive did quite it up, I would think that the diff did not have it from the start, or that it is time to change it.

Looking forward to hearing more on this.

Glad all is well now. :thumb:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerome,

fluid was never changed and I don't think this was ever added before. I do see your point. I'll ask him about it tomorrow morning.

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my GTS. Viper tech put in a drain plug in the differential for me (makes it a lot easier to change the fluid - no vacuum) and he forgot the limited slip additive. The thing kept making this whining sound on slow turns, especially to the right. Took it to a local Viper tech (different guy) and he couldn't figure it out to save his life. Thought for sure it was in the power steering. Decided I would drain the power steering fluid and refill with new stuff. No difference, so we gave up for the day. Somebody on the Viper board mentioned it could be in the rear end, but not what it was. Stopped by the closest Dodge dealer and was telling the parts guy that I needed rear differential fluid. As I am describing the situation, a guy behind me says "No brainer, it needs the limited slip additive." I turn around and this guy is standing there with his Harley T-shirt (cut off at the shoulders) and smiling at me. Turns out he is the Viper tech for that dealer. And he was 100% correct. Added it in and the noise went away instantly and never appeared again. And he is the only local Viper tech I will use now!

·
18,149 Posts
Makaha said:
Jerome,

fluid was never changed and I don't think this was ever added before. I do see your point. I'll ask him about it tomorrow morning.
The way I see this is that your tech added an additive to the rear diff.
This additive made the noise go away. So it was needed, but for what reason?
Why did it make the noise go away?
Was the fluid changed before and the additive not replaced? No
Was the additive never added at the factory? Got me. Maybe it was not added.
Do they add it at the factory? I thought they did.
Could the fluid need to be changed? Got me, I can't tell from here. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Lets just hope that no damage was done and all is well.

This is how we learn......and I always like to learn. My ASE certs mean shit if I do not continue to learn and do what I learn.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, the product number is 04318060AB limited slip additive friction modifieer. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mopar part number

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Makaha,

:thumb: Thanks for going the extra mile in starting this post! Its greatly appreciated and will fit nicely in to my growing log of how to troubleshoot a Viper. I am really impressed with this site as it is beginning to mature in Viper info. (eg. Parts and Tuner reviews) Awesome! I mean they even handed a Laptop to Serious E! How'd that happen /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Makaha Cheers to you and hoping that your next appearance on Blind date is a good one!

LOL

Jay K.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blind date? What JGK95. I've never gone out with a blind girl, how dare you make false accusations :rofl:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
remster,

this was on a previous thread, but I' will sum it up for you...makaRa is a last name and makaHa is a beach name. I just name most of my handles/user id's makaHa because I never have to worry about it being taken.

·
18,149 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts