Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my cats off my 99 GTS this weekend and the car sounds awesome, more like a muscle car now, but the car stinks bad!!
My question is that if I buy the sim eliminators, will that take a lot of the smell away? If not, do the high flow cats stink and do they sound just as good? Where can I buy them at?

Thanks for any info!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
With the cats removed , on a car that runs extremely rich at idle, you are probably just experiencing the perfuming effect of unburned gases. Some folks can't stand it and put the cats back on, whereas others love the odor. Good chance this is what you are experiencing, and I would put your nose in the former category.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Go with hi-flow cats. Sort of the best of both worlds. It won't be quite as loud but the smell should be gone.

Keep in mind that when running catless you will produce a very nice 3 ft flame out your tailpipes when shifting under WOT. I think its cool, but civics with plastic body kits may complain.

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Snake Bitten said:
Start smoking...You won't even notice the gas fumes after a while...

LMAO!! :lolcry: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Mark Young said:
Go with hi-flow cats. Sort of the best of both worlds. It won't be quite as loud but the smell should be gone.

Keep in mind that when running catless you will produce a very nice 3 ft flame out your tailpipes when shifting under WOT. I think its cool, but civics with plastic body kits may complain.
Mark, are you serious about the flame? I have the RT HF cats and think they rock. But I gotta say having the flame is the cats ass!

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
No cats = flames on over-run. Rich condition cause the fuel to burn in the pipes. It's just the thing for tailgaters. :nod:

Random Tech Metal Substrate cats flow nicely, I have a 3 incher on my car (Jap turbo) and it does the trick. And the cat is 3 inch all the way thru, not just 3 inch ends welded on a small ID cat.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Young Mark is a hot-shoe and speaks rightly. I personally , at age 51 , find flames coming out my &%$# as a day to day occurence, and I find nothing exciting about it. Whoops, off the subject, and I think Random Tech makes the bestest high flow-erszz.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Bill Pemberton said:
Young Mark is a hot-shoe and speaks rightly. I personally , at age 51 , find flames coming out my &%$# as a day to day occurence, and I find nothing exciting about it. Whoops, off the subject, and I think Random Tech makes the bestest high flow-erszz.
Hey Bill, good to see you over here! I got your card by the way. Goes great on pancakes eh? Thanks for your help in the spring.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Told ya it would stink. You think it's bad now, wait until that check engine light is tripped, and the Viper runs in 'safe mode' (overly rich). Better put your gas mask on.... Now the O2 sims will prevent this, but the smell you have now will not go away (I'm assume your check engine light is not currently on since you did not mention in post, therefore the car will not run any different with the O2 sims).

Personally, if my Viper was a garage queen, and I only drove it once a week, I could put up with the smell. But I drive the car every non-rainy day, and walking into work or social event smelling like gas 4-5 times a week is a little much - even for a gearhead.

I use the Sean Roe oval high-flow cats. The good thing is they flow extremely well... Nearly as good as no cats. They are also reasonable priced. And my Viper sounds much better/deeper with them than no cats. Now the negatives: I still smell like fuel, although not nearly as bad. They are not the easiest to install, being oval in spape. They also don't run quite as cool as I was hoping, but a lot less than stock cats. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, especially considering price. Many people like the Random Cats as well, but I'm not sure of the positives/negatives with those cats. I believe they are about twice the price, though...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have random Hi flo Metal Substrate cats & I love them. No gas smell at all & they sound great! I got them from Jon at parts rack, great price & great service. I have always had a good experience with Jon.

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Bill Pemberton said:

Hey Pimp! I'll add my "welcome to the neighborhood" to the pile. Thats what this board is, its the cat-less, stinky, 3ft flames out its ass version of the other one, hehehe.

I've got the Random Techs and they work like a charm. Hold 'em up and you can see through to the other end (through metal mesh, but still).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts