Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Oh shit...that is it, except four channel...asa, you da man!

You next mission, should you choose to accept, is to find us one to go from the DIN to an aftermarket Alpine cd player!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
You mean to replace the factory head?

These may sound as silly questions, I have always tried to get exactly what the customer wants. The best way I know how to do this is to pin the point down hard.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Yep...Leave the stocker amp...and replace the head unit...Confrontational's RT...he has an newer Alpine deck...so the adapter could use low level or high level (preferably low level) outputs...

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Looks to me like that photo still has four bare wires that have to be hooked up somehow... somebody call a hack! I'm just messing with you -- but the point is valid.

However, I do think it's cool that you found this stuff, and that you went out of your way to help somebody out.

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
It no trouble, I hate destroying a wonderful piece of artwork. I have seen childern who destroy vehicles. From no fusees in an eight gage wire direct to the battery, to finding three CD's inside the cd player, some folks are putzs

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I can definitely agree with you there. A few years ago, my truck was the first vehicle that I ever brought somewhere to have stereo equipment installed (after all, it's not rocket science). It isn't an award-winning system or anything, but it was decent equipment and I figured, what the hell, I'll pay to have it installed. This place was pretty well-known here in town, and had a pretty good reputation.

A few months down the road I had to pull off the dash for something, and basically the back end of the stereo was one enormous wad of electrical tape. Worst fucking install job I've ever seen. The only good part to the story is that I called to bitch, and discovered they had gone out of business...

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
new email as of today

need help from the all of you

I would need to have a digital picture of what the plugs look like on the viper. I did not find a 4 channel din unit.
----- Original Message -----
To: RALPH TURNER
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: Alpine Din 8pin adaptor

Ralph, I have some interest in replacing the factory head also, Do you have the plug to adapt his also.(remove the factory head and replace with aftermarket, without cutting plugs.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
You got it!

[image]http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_9bf835a88f78617e4aec9ff80a544b3d/i-2_B_L.JPG[/image]

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
Ok, this is how we stand relating to plugs. We can get the amp connectors. These are the AMP side connection that can be soldered into a PC board. From there 6-8 inches of 8 or 10 gage wire can be used to connect to any amp you wish to.
This is not a simple plug and play item. There is some work involved, but it's not impossible.

Any true technition or engineer can do this. As far as the back of the radio, I have to fine the plugs from Alpine directly. Avaialbe yes, just time consuming. I don't have a price on that set up, but again orderable.

I can do soldering, or you can do this yourselves. I contacted United Radio in Syracuse, NY. They have a website for phone numbers.

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
Not bad, It is a good start on the wiring, But for our app, may not work.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Ok, resurrecting this thread. You guys got me so fucking twisted around and I have GOT to get some tunes. I can’t go above 18 now, which means I can barely hear Angus with the top off.

Option 1. Get the correct wires and run them from the CD to the trunk. Then use any fucking CD and amp I want, right? But routing wires in a RT/10 is a bitch, correct?

Option 2. Get this adapter connector thing and have somebody solder something to something. Then I can use any kind of CD and amp I want, correct?

Option 3. Get a boom box that plugs into the lighter and set it in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Ok, resurrecting this thread. You guys got me so fucking twisted around and I have GOT to get some tunes. I can’t go above 18 now, which means I can barely hear Angus with the top off.

Option 1. Get the correct wires and run them from the CD to the trunk. Then use any fucking CD and amp I want, right? But routing wires in a RT/10 is a bitch, correct?

Option 2. Get this adapter connector thing and have somebody solder something to something. Then I can use any kind of CD and amp I want, correct?

Option 3. Get a boom box that plugs into the lighter and set it in the passenger seat.
I went with option 1. And the i replaced the amp and the head + the speakers. PRetty happy now but i still have a set of subwooofers to install in the passenger footwell for some much needed deep bass... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So how difficult was routing the wires in an RT/10 Par?

Call going in to Guru Gerald this weekend.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Chuck,

it was a PAIN!. I actually had a high end stereo install pro do it. I came by his shop one day and he disassembled the interior to find the best way to route the cables. I came back one week later for the actual install. I probably took them 16 hours and most of the time was spent on routing the cables.

Basically the cables are routed down past the battery, drilled a hole in the firewall behind the drivers seat (about midway down) and then routed underneat the console over to the head unit. I put in 6 cables while i was at it (left + right, front + read and L+R subwoofer). I will route the high power speaker cables on the passenger side for the subwoofers.

Big picture, to me it was big enough of a job that i wanted a pro to do it so that if they screwed up -they got to pay to fix it. The chance of getting it wrong seemed quite high to me.... But it worked out great and i'm really pleased now and it only set me back something like $400 for the whole install.

I got the electronics (amps + head) at www.etronics.com and the speakers at www.crutchfield.com

Let me know if you want some pics of the install. I'm pretty pleased but i have some more work to do with the subs.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Chuck,

I did this in 2 steps - GTS but I can't imagine it would be THAT different.

Step 1 was new speakers - easy since they were drop in.

Step 2 was basically your option 1, new cables, head, speakers, etc.

As far as running the cables from head to amp, I removed the center console (around the shifter) and also the driveline tunnel cover (around the e-brake). I pulled the carpet back an inch at the top and just put the cables in there. So my cables ran along the driveline tunnel, up under the trim behind the seats, and came out in the trunk. In the RT I'm guessing there would need to be some kind of hole (just get a grommet). In the front, I just put the cables back up through the carpet forward of the kick panel, and voila! they were right there with my stereo. For the door speakers, it wasn't so bad - the door panels come off easy, and I just mounted the crossovers inside the doors towards the back in the bottom (plenty of room). I just pulled the kick panels under the dash and routed the cables. The hardest part was squeezing big fat speaker cable through the accordion-rubber style tubes that go from the car to the door. But it wasn't bad - maybe took an hour per side. Speaker wires to speakers in the middle/rear of an RT must be real easy - since it's right there.

Battery connection to amp should be easy since the battery is back there too. This sounds like a lot of work, but it's not so bad and when you are done you can use ANY amp, stereo, and speakers you like.

I have some speaker wire, power wire and a bunch of stuff like that, so if you go this route, let me know and I would be happy to send it all to you. I pulled a lot of it out my vette and my Viper so maybe it would be of some use. I also have some of that "dynamat" stuff.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts