Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Landscaping Professional
14,188 Posts
so very many threads available just using the SEARCH feature....

14,188 Posts

14,188 Posts
I most definitely would! FYI - you need to be careful when you insert the pinion to get the master flat clocked correctly with the rack gear centered in its travel. Check the coupling on the steering shaft when the wheel is level across to confirm the correct orientation.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobV and haneifk

14,188 Posts
Were you able to remove the LH inner rack seal? I have heard others say the couldn't get to it.

14,188 Posts
Correct - I believe it's close to the juncture between the aluminum casting and the steel pressure tube. There has to be a seal to hold pressure between the center rack piston and the LH side of the rack.

14,188 Posts
That sounds like the sort of solution I would have expected to use after first hearing of the situation, but not personally having SEEN it.

Reactions: haneifk

14,188 Posts
If you were to put a flat washer with the right OD on the driver's side tie rod stud and then spin a nut down behind it, it would pull that end seal along as the rack piston comes out. How snug was the center rack piston seal when tapping it out?

14,188 Posts
You want a very tacky, heavy EP grease that is stable at up to 250F. Open Gear Lube would be ideal, regular ball joint grease is probably just fine..

Reactions: RobV and haneifk

14,188 Posts
I snapped this photo of mine when I was changing out tie rods last year. It looks pretty much like ordinary wheel bearing grease to me - still coating everything it's supposed to be.
Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior

Reactions: haneifk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts