Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been slowly making my way through the front end of the Viper, replacing all worn parts. Inner tie rods were shot so I removed them. When I remove the passenger side boot I noticed there was some PS fluid in the boot and rack housing that started to dribble out.

I'm assuming the seals are shot at this point and was wondering if there's a way to rebuild the rack and if anyone sells a kit or something? I looked around for a DIY but all I found was places online that will rebuild it. I kinda wanted to do it myself though because I'm one of those masochist types that enjoys this kind of work LOL.

1999 Viper

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! @GTS Dean
is this it?

Reading the Ebay description looks like it also fits 99 Caravan which Gates makes a kit for:

Would any of those work?

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
One issue is the big plug. I am trying to located a replacement. The plastic plug will break apart, not reuseable

• Helpful
Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
so very many threads available just using the SEARCH feature....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@GTS Dean I usually do a search before posting a question. I searched the forums as well as google and all I could find was replacing it or sending it to rackdoctor. but I figured if people are sending it out for a rebuild there might be a way to rebuild it myself.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Ok, cool. I will give them a try too

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, got the rack apart. Just gotta source the 2 bearings now.

I saw on another post that Dean had shared that there's already a writeup on how to do this (someone had posted photos of a TRW service manual) but if it would be of any worth I'd be happy to share the steps here as well if anyone would find that helpful.

Gas Font Wood Metal Machine

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
I most definitely would! FYI - you need to be careful when you insert the pinion to get the master flat clocked correctly with the rack gear centered in its travel. Check the coupling on the steering shaft when the wheel is level across to confirm the correct orientation.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobV and haneifk
1 - 20 of 45 Posts