Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had dinner with a few Viper owners who claimed that there is a significant difference in braking by changing out the oe brake lines to a $400 set of SS lines. Can this be true? Without any other brake mods, would SS lines yield a "significant" difference?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've seen that WestCoast Vipers sells a set of SS brake lines for under $200. Are these just as good as the $400 ones?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
CitySnake said:
Had dinner with a few Viper owners who claimed that there is a significant difference in braking by changing out the oe brake lines to a $400 set of SS lines. Can this be true? Without any other brake mods, would SS lines yield a "significant" difference?
What color were their windbreakers?

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weeztones said:
CitySnake said:
What color were their windbreakers?
/images/graemlins/laughing.gif Funny you should mention that Weez....

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
StopTech SS brake lines are around $158 IIRC. If you're not tracking the car, you probably couldn't tell the difference.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
_Mark said:
StopTech SS brake lines are around $158 IIRC. If you're not tracking the car, you probably couldn't tell the difference.
That would be my contention. I mean, how much additional compression/response could the SS lines yield over the OE lines? Even under track use, the difference would relate more to (the potential for) complete failure of the lines rather than more effective braking.

I mean these guys (having spent the $) are telling me that there's a noticable difference in braking with JUST changing out the lines!

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J DAWG said:
City, check out this thread.
Well I see that my memory is no longer effective beyond 10 months! :bonk:
Regardless, there's no definitive statement relative to whether changing out JUST the brake lines makes a significant difference in braking. I guess I should also check out the package JonB has. Seems like it's too cheap to be good.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
SS brake lines are only $200 per set OF FOUR...don't pay double...They do make a diff, even on the street...

And whether you like JonB or not, his $800 brake package is the best deal goin...Rotors, lines, pads, and Motul fluid...Stop Tech rotors in front, poser rotors in the rear to match, but no worries, you only have 12% braking in the rear anyway...

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Snake Bitten said:
SS brake lines are only $200 per set OF FOUR...don't pay double...They do make a diff, even on the street...

And whether you like JonB or not, his $800 brake package is the best deal goin...Rotors, lines, pads, and Motul fluid...Stop Tech rotors in front, poser rotors in the rear to match, but no worries, you only have 12% braking in the rear anyway...
Anyone have a photo of the stoptech rotors? (as if I don't expect Gerald to have a full set from every angle /images/graemlins/laughing.gif ). What about the eradispeed (sp?) rotors?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
CitySnake said:
Anyone have a photo of the stoptech rotors? (as if I don't expect Gerald to have a full set from every angle /images/graemlins/laughing.gif ). What about the eradispeed (sp?) rotors?
City...Eradispeeds are poser rotors...They stop only marginally better than stock, with my EBC greens...BUT THEY LOOKIN FREAKIN RAD!

[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/215043/FrontCaliperpic.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
The StopTech Rotors that come in the $800 package...I helped Confrontational put these on his ACR, as well as another MN viper owner on his GTS...before Viper Days last year at BIR...good shit...

[image]http://secureprocessing.net/PartsRack/WebShop/images/ProductImages/Brakes/StoptechRotor1.JPG[/image]

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Snake Bitten said:
[image]http://secureprocessing.net/PartsRack/WebShop/images/ProductImages/Brakes/StoptechRotor1.JPG[/image]
That's a one-piece. If you're going to track do it right and go with a two-piece rotor like the one below.
[image]http://secureprocessing.net/PartsRack/WebShop/images/ProductImages/Brakes/SlottedTwoPiece1.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
That's a one-piece. If you're going to track do it right and go with a two-piece rotor...

Chuck..the two piece doesn't come in the $800 package...and when I was at Archer racing last year, they swore by the one piece, dollar for dollar...they said it was the best rotor going...

Now if you're gonna spend the big bucks, just get Stop Tech's Big Brake package...like Smokin's got...with the two piece rotors...$3,500 smackers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
_Mark said:
I disagree. If you are doing any kind of aggressive driving, then you will get better pedal feel and be able to prevent lock ups much better.

Stainless steel lines on the back brakes are almost useless because they only do 10% of the stopping.

Brad

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
BTW...NONE OF THE STOP TECH ROTORS LOOK AS COOL AS MY ERADISPEEDS! It's better to loook good... /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I noticed that everyone goes with a change of pads, but not the calipers. Is that due to the added cost of new calipers, i.e. bang for the extra buck?

I think I may spend for the eradispeed rotors and the SS break lines. It seems like I WILL get SOME improved breaking and some GREATLY IMPROVED poser points /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif .

Tator get's back on March 1. Maybe it's time for some fun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts