Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long after you bought your SRT 10 did you first spin-out in a turn or straight away? What were the circumstances? I did a 180 fish tail last night leaving a holiday party -- thank god I didnt hit the curbs -- it was cold out and I hit the go pedal a little to much. :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I´ve never owned a SRT-10 but in my 500+ HP Gen1 I fish-tailed a few times going straight. Give it too much pedal... even going arrow straight... and it will come around. Like you I was always very lucky. One time I went clear into the on coming lane. Any cars are there and I am causing a head-on.... very lucky.

Part of the fun of Viper ownership! I dont think I could make the Lamborghini fish-tail if I tried.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have an 02 RT/10 and did the same thing within the first 3 months of ownership. Same here, I didn't hit anything, just was facing the the wrong way. I "thought" I was used to Torquy cars having owned several LS1 6 speeds in the past, but I guess I was wrong.

It happened as I was making a right into a roadway, and needed to get up to speed to match traffic before they caught up. I was pointing straight but boy that didn't matter.

The key is cold tires... these wide tires need to be hot before you can bravely get on 1st gear abruptly.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
NY Nick said:
Cherm said:
Part of the fun of Viper ownership! I dont think I could make the Lamborghini fish-tail if I tried.
I'm sure that AWD helps with that!! :D
Yeah and traction control... I have amazed some friends by allowing a few to drive the Lambo but I would never allow anyone to drive my Viper. Nothing to do with price tags.... You dont know what you are doing in the Murcielago and pretty much you just dont go as fast. Do something stupid in the Viper and you wreck.

This is why I need to get another Gen1 Viper. Perfect stable-mate for the Murci.

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
SRT-10 - never.

GTS - Twice - both times on the track, went into a turn a little too hot.

It's all about being smooth. You can get to full throttle but you don't mash the gas. If you smoothly apply the power, you'll be a much better and more controlled driver. Drive like there is an egg under your foot - not to say you can't put the power down, eggs are actually quite strong - but you have to apply the pressure smoothly....

Or, if you can't resist slamming your foot down - do it when you are pointed straight and there are no curbs, cars or small children around.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
NY Nick said:
The key is cold tires... these wide tires need to be hot before you can bravely get on 1st gear abruptly.
Great point. Both times I did it in my Viper were in the winter.... after being parked for a while.

Having a bunch of beers the one time didnt help either. Very stupid thing to do...

·
Registered
146 Posts
As has been stated before. With this much torque and hp you must be smooth and aware of road conditions. :nod:

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are a few pics in my gallery and you can check out the info at www.evoms.com Check the GT 750 in the 996TT/GT2 section. :cool:

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Birvini said:
JT said:
GTS - Twice - both times on the track, went into a turn a little too hot.
Ditto.
Is the solution to get on it harder and aim for the outside line? I do realize that you are in the process of an oversteer situation. however if you have the track area to travel, can't you self correct?

Jay K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.