Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was under my 98 doing the CAGS mod and noticed that the speedometer cable has a lot of corrosion inside the terminals. I had the car for about a year or so and this is the first time I have noticed this since it is my first time under the car. From what I have been told these types of connectors should never have moister inside of it since it has the O-ring inside. I am thinking that the previous owner somehow disconnected it so that the odometer would not roll over. Is there anyway I can be sure that he did this? Does the computer somehow track how many actual miles there should be on the car? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
What's the CAGS mod?

I'm told around 96 or 97, the computer will keep track of mileage. Need expert to verify. Taking to dealer and will be able to download. I'm sure the expert will know what tool they use and whether you need to go to dealer or not.

Is this corrosion at the speed sensor at the tranny?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CAGS is for the skipshift, it disables the annoying 1-4 shifts

Yes, both the connector going into the tranny and the plug on the tranny itself has corrosion inside of it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If the speedometer were disconnected, how would the ECM know the mileage? Yes, it could know it was disconnected, but for how many miles? Also, does disconnecting the speed trigger the MIL?

·
Registered
791 Posts
yes...the computer keeps track of the mileage...when you come to the dealership we can plug in our computer and verify the mileage shown on the odometer....Len

·
Registered
533 Posts
FE065, A 94 stores mileage? Really? I had a BIG arguement with someone about this and a few people who I thought were qualified told me a 95 didn't do this.

Hmmm. I'm pissed now.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
A neighbor who's a DC test driver/mechanic brought home a scanning tool/handheld box of some sort to enter my PCM and verify my mileage 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
But where does the ECU get the mileage from if the speedo cable is disconnected?

·
Registered
533 Posts
That is very interesting...I'm going to have fun with this and win some cash.

McGuireV10 - You must be right. If the connection at the speed sensor is pulled, the PCM would never get the info. This would be good if an idiot reached behind the speedo and disconnected it there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
hmm..ya know..i never asked that question!!...don't i look like the dummy!!..i'll ask our rep when he gets here next week....then i can can give you a qualified answer...lol...i know years ago my buddy had a 94 and unhooked his speedo sensor and it said about 7000 miles...when i plugged in the comp it said a little over 10,000 miles....so lemme check on this...Len..

·
Registered
791 Posts
you know..i prob read this thread wrong..i was thinking the speedo sensor at the trans...not the speedo in the dash...if you unhook the sensor in the trans it should not add miles to the comp either..i jus called my buddy and he told me he unhooked the speedo not the trans sensor..my bad!!!!...sorry...but i'm still gonna check on it for you guys....Len

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can unhook the speed sensor at the tranny and it won't send data to the PCM.

You can unplug the speedo at the rear of it and the PCM will still record data.

I was told before the pre 95 or 96's didn't record data in the PCM but now I'm told otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts