Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elite Motor Sports of Tampa

I just bought a 2000 Viper and i love it...everything about it, except for the ugly space between the hood and the doors. I mean really, how can they make the rest of the car so visually appealing and just leave that gap? So i have been searching, and so far this is the only thing I have found. What do you all think of it? Any prior experience with the vendor? Or maybe some suggestions for other products you may have come across- I just know some enterprising vendor must have come up with a solution!

BTW, first post... a virgin no more.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Are you talking about the built in hood vent/gap behind the front wheels where the doors meet the hood/sides or a door seam body part gap?

If you are referring to the open space/gap in the fender/door area they are intended to vent engine compartment heat as the car does have a fairly large engine, you know.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am indeed referring to the hood/vent gap next to the wheels tiepilot... Big, engine... oh yeah, the V10 monster thats kept in there :idea: But there must be some way to have an aesthetically pleasing "filler" with adequate ventilation!

· Premium Member
5,177 Posts
I like the space both ways, with and without the gills. Some other choices would be good too though. If you plan to add an electrical kill switch for track duty, I've almost always seen them mounted in that space.

· Registered
475 Posts
I know there can be a fit problem with the '01 and '02 cars. Thew newer cars have 5 screw points vs. 4 for the older ones if I remember correctly. Not sure about the '00's.

I tried the new and improved version on my '01 which were suppose to be more flexible and they still didn't fit on the passenger side. The parts also had some small paint runs and pits on cosmetic surfaces which I wasn't overly thrilled with. Scott refunded my money with no problems. After having the gills mocked up on the car, I think I actually like the stock appearance better anyway.

--- Ken

· Registered
225 Posts
Scott at Elite Motor Sports is a great guy to deal with and very helpful! Products are great for the money spent!

I personally like the gap, but feel the gills look cool to.

· Registered
523 Posts
That "space" is one of the top 10 things I like about my Viper. It looks badass. Kind of like the engine is so big they had to flare out the sides and need to let air out. I can't imagine them covered up. I've seen the gills and I'm not crazy about them.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
I forgot to mention, like a lot of other owners here I love that gap. It is one of the biggest visual cues I found interesting about the car when I first saw one.

As a side note I read on the .morgue that not only were they there for heat venting but they also serve to relieve underhood air pressure at high speed.

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p52ea4986ee083d77bec3ebec744eee43/f98f68a8.jpg[/image]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.