Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some questions regarding early 90\'s Twin Turbo Z\'s

My little sister wants to get one. Anyone here ever had one or familiar enough with them? The only thing I can remember reading is that the TT cars are head gasket prone.

She is looking at a 1990 300 ZX Twin Turbo w/85,000 miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: Some questions regarding early 90\'s Twin Turbo Z\'s

Don't do it. They're chap to buy right now, but maintenance on it costs more than it would on a Viper. Unless you're a pretty hard core Nissan enthusiast, you'll get tired of it quick and lose money on it when you sell because you spent all that money on replacing parts that wore out.

I had mine for a year. I have an auto repair shop and none of my mechanics wanted to work on it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, the engine compartment looked pretty cramped to me. Fortunately, the deal fell through for my younger sister. I will have to work on getting her away from that type of car. I know she wants it so that she can mod it to make in faster.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Viperjohn said:
Thanks, the engine compartment looked pretty cramped to me. Fortunately, the deal fell through for my younger sister. I will have to work on getting her away from that type of car. I know she wants it so that she can mod it to make in faster.

Tell her to do some more reasearch on Modding a 300ZX TT - ALOT of the Mods require the engine to come out.

A Supra TT is much easier to Mod and the Supra will be faster with similar mods as compared to the 300ZX TT.

·
Registered
899 Posts

the looks and style of the car play tricks on the mind. it looks like a small car but is is a big car(weight) they are quite heavy for the size. they can be modded and lightend to a point. but to better value to be had elsewhere as far as my opinion is concerned. they need a lot of money to even make them the equal of a gen I RT

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

I have a 90 TT as my "daily driver". You can pick them up for a lot cheaper than you can buy a Supra, but they are not nearly as cheap to mod as a Supra, nor do they have the bottom end to handle power that a Supra does.
Mine has not had any problems, *but* if you need injectors, or turbos, etc replaced, they are expensive. Much of that has to do with the fact they are a pain in the ass to work on.
The first 100 HP or so in upgrades is relatively cheap. From there on, it gets pricey.
I don't know what the "last gen" RX7 costs, but they are a great looking car.
I have always liked the Supra, but they are about as costly as buying a Gen I Viper.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

I've had two of them. They are great cars. Never had any major problems with them. Why some of you are comparing them to 45K vipers when the Z is a $7-10k car I'm not sure. They aren't the fastest things around, but they are extremly fun to drive. The interior is still one of the most drive-centered and comfortable of cars I've seen. The 4-wheel steer is pretty cool too. I wouldn't mind picking up a nice one for a daily driver if I could find a clean one. The only reoccuring problem I know of is the 5speeds burn clutches more than other cars, but not terribly excessive. For the same price, I'd take one any day over an rx7 or a late 80's, early 90's supra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.