Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just pulled the side sills and there is what looks like a heavy foil backed padding that is completely water saturated. I poked a few holes in the end and am currently letting it drain into a bucket.
View attachment 152354
Glad you took the advice and did that. Very likely could have started some problems you don't want to deal with. The foil things are the heat shields. I've yet to find a source for factory replacements of those so I installed some HP stickyshield to mine since my shields were trashed. It's an option if you can't save those but I much prefer the stock ones if you can save them. I'd love to go back that way if I could find some new ones (or really good used ones).

·
Registered
2001 Viper GTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Other than a good polish & ceramic coating, the car is done. I got all 4 new tires last week and just installed the billet power steering pulley and bracket this morning.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Total investment is: $43,436.37
Cost breakdown:
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Pattern

A few years ago, I could have bought a clean title car for this, but it ain't a few years ago. I'm anxious for the weather to get better so I can finally start enjoying it!
I do like working on the machines, I bought my other "baby" in 1988 right out of high school. It's recently been converted over to a Megasquirt (MS3Pro Evo) controlled EFI Frankenstein engine (Buick 3.8) that "should" be in the 500+ hp range with 25 - 30 pounds of boost. It handles corners like a waterbed. 80's all the way baby. Pop in the Def Leppard cassette and go for a cruise!

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
2001 Viper GTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update with more flood related gremlins:

Issue #1:
I have had the problem of having to add fuel at just a trickle when getting gas so the nozzle doesn't click off. It almost seems like the gas tank isn't venting (duh). So I stumbled across this picture on the internet and figured since it was under water, that might have something to do with it. I finally pulled it all out and the charcoal canister (and all hoses below it), were still full of water. I have ordered a new canister and am going to hope that my leak detection pump is okay. I blew compressed air into the tank and it now comes out of the vent hose.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Locking hubs

Issue #2:
I replaced the rear speakers and found the "pockets" in the body where the speakers sit still had about 3" of water in them. Easy fix and no damage, but didn't leak or evaporate in almost a year.

Attachments

·
Landscaping Professional
14,553 Posts
Thanks for the continued updates!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Excellent thread & great news on another snake saved!

AND a Gen 2 GTS. The best looking version! Ha!

Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wait just a second. I thought all that EVAP stuff was in the front bumper. Is that year specific as I know my 98 has some hoses and a canister in the drivers side bumper. That's where I was looking when I smoke tested the car trying to chase down a small leak. I never looked under the rear passenger of the car so thinking I may need to redo that test. I did find a leak at the gas tank seal which I fixed but even after 300 miles of driving now those perimeters are still "pending" so maybe I still have a leak to find.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,553 Posts
I'm not certain when they moved the EVAP system to the rear, but I thought maybe '99-00?

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
9,026 Posts
I mean, and no offense, but that car isn't exactly in mint condition... I'm sure there's a bunch of shit in the wrong spot, missing, or currently on fire.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts