Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,960 Posts
I'm planning on going. I think Jeff is also along with another guy.

It's on the 28th...Sunday. It's the Modern Muscle Car Shootout sponsered by JBA. Lots of mustangs and f-bodies along with a few vettes. Should be fun.

Carl

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody make it out Sunday?? I was out there all day Sat for the test-n-tune but has some family issues and had to skip sunday. Hope everyone had a great time. Gotta love the chunks of track getting torn up in the burnout box, that track will definately teach you how to control the hp of the car, no way it's a mash and go unless you want wheel spin into 4th gear.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I was there on Sunday and it sucked. First time I had been there.

1) $30 for my vehicle to get in (two of us in the car)just to watch. You must take a dirt road to get to the track. This dirt road was probably half a mile or so (much longer than the entire 1/4 mile race area.) The dips in that dirt road were insane, and I don't see how a lowered viper would make it out there without a trailer -- I know I won't drive mine on that road.

2) There was no ET/Trap sign at the end of the track. All you had was a yellow light to signify who got there 1st. The announcer would then say who had what times. The problem with this was that the next set of cars were doing burnouts while the announcer was speaking, so you could almost never hear what the ET and MPH were on the cars. Ugh!

3) The area for spectators to sit was a joke. Every burnout and you had to hold your breath for a handful of seconds to let all the smoke go by (due to our natural eastward winds here in San Diego.) Every time they sprayed the track down you would get hit with the smell. Jesus!

The bleecher seats themselves were HORRID. I am surprised they allow people to get on those. If those bleecher seats were to ever get completely full of people, I think they would collapse. They were made of what looked to be 10 year old 2X8 boards, most with cracks and holes. There were plenty of them where the center had been patched by another 2X8 board placed over where it had broken, and nailed to the two remaining peices. It was scary.

Anyway, I might take my car out there if I trailered it, only because it is local to me, but it sucked when I saw there on Sunday.

-M

·
Premium Member
7,960 Posts
ah...common. the tracks not that bad.....j/k.

It is the only track in the area and it's about the same as it was 20+ years ago when I raced there. The only difference is that they use to race at night then.

The road doesn't give me much fits but my cars not lowered.

The launch pad has always sucked.

But again....it's the local track that someday will be gone. What's left is 1/8 mile at the Q...yippee!

What SD needs is a close track that is a decent facility. Perhaps the new one in Atwater will be better but I'm not sure how far Atwater is from us...

Carl

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
Catwood said:
ah...common. the tracks not that bad.....j/k.

Carl

Are you freaking kidding me? Thats gotta be the saddest 1/4 mile track I've ever been to, slow times and that dirt road, you gotta have you car detailed everytime you go there. LACR is OK but the elevation sucks. Pomona was great but no more racing. If you wanna take the ride Famoso is a great track, that's where I got my best ET, mph & 60 ft. time :nod:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.