Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad is the problem with the exhaust heat in the sidesills on the Viper ?
Whats the cure for this problem, HF cats, better insulation of the sills or what do you do to fix this problem ? Have also read that the A/C isnt any good i that true and is it fixable ?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will get one i dont have one yet but i want to know that this problem is fixable before i buy the car, when i get one it will be aGTS from 96-99.I dont particulary like to be fried in my own car.
So exactly what do you do i will not get ridd of the cats i will mount HF cats otherwise i will have cops up my ass before i can say Dodge Viper :).

· Banned
2,657 Posts
My 01 acr....it doesn't get hot at all (unless I'm at the track). As far as driving it like a "normal" car, it gets warm, but you can put your hands on it without burning them.

· Registered
426 Posts
As a new Viper owner, I had and experienced the same situation.
High Flow cats and a good cat-back exhaust eliminated the majority of the side sill heat. It is now comfortable on a warm day with the windows down. On a hot days, windows up and AC on, you will never notice.
I am going to try the louvered side sill vents just to see if they can help get any adiitional heat out. When I install the headers, I will line the floorboard heatshields with the some reflective insulation.
Ditch the stock exhaust and add HF cats, huge improvement. :thumb:

· Registered
5,769 Posts
Seems like an awful work and expense to correct something that can be generally addressed by converter "modifications" if ya know what I mean. You get the heat reduction and generally better power/performance in one fell swoop, and it usually does not cost quite what the insulators cost.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Hei 2die4!

The sills are not "that" hot. Just don't kiss the little round hole where the air comes out. /images/graemlins/smiles

Besides, in Sweden, the temperature does not get hot enough to worry about it! Try driving a Viper in Texas or Arizona in August. Then you would have something to be concerned with. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

How many Vipers currently exist in Sweden? If any, you may want to check with those owners to see if there is any concern in your climate. Good luck in your Viper pursuit! :cheers:

----------------------------------------------
NORWAY most certainly, home of the REAL Vikings, aka: Norsemen!!! :nod:

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are a few brave Viper in Stockholm with the Nordic Viper club. http://forum.zatzy.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175002&highlight=viper+klubben
I cant access their forum before i get a Viper so i cant ask the questions there therefor i ask them here :) and by the way i think you have better knowledge about Vipers because you have some more of them.
As i wrote before i dont like to get fried in my car and i like to fix fuck ups like the sills problem otherwise i will get very annoyed to know that it exist.
You may help with a descision i have to make curently i have to Vipers which iam choosing from one Blue with white stripes 1997 but its a Chrysler Viper EU model. have a crack in the windshield and the AC doesnt work, this car got coilovers BBS/AR wheels, T&D, New tires, new bushings. The other contender is a steel grey Viper -00 with silver stripes which cost less but it has that cream puff engine and my plans are to get an S/C and produce around 700 rwhp. So what should i choose ?

And the Vikings was from Scandinavia :)

· Registered
1,772 Posts
I have a silver 99 ACR and started to get a small yellow spot on both side sills from the heat of the factory cats. I had a set of Roe hi-flows installed and the problem is solved. I'm not sure if the heat will discolor other colors.

· Registered
5,769 Posts
Passin Gas said:
I have a silver 99 ACR and started to get a small yellow spot on both side sills from the heat of the factory cats. I had a set of Roe hi-flows installed and the problem is solved. I'm not sure if the heat will discolor other colors.
Believe ot or not, I have only seen the discoloration on silver and white vehicles, and only gen IIs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.