Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a Viper has been wrecked, but it has been fixed perfect, will it ever be the same or is it still a wrecked car with a lot of depreciated value? If it checks out carfax good, but been in a fender bender, does it loose a lot of its value? Is it better to trade a car in at the dealer if its been wrecked?

Thanks for all the info!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,650 Posts
O.K. , if it is fixed and is perfect , then it has no issues. Just get it checked out on a lift by a good tech. Do a frame check if you think it was hit hard. Check all the gaps and panel fit. Then buy it if you like it , or don't if you don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,735 Posts
It's just like any other car, if it is capable of being fixed and someone does the work correctly it is definetely worth it. Sometimes you can get a really good deal that you wouldn't anywhere else. You're always supposed to check out any car you are thinking about purchasing (pre-wrecked or not).
 

·
FUSTFU
Joined
·
8,346 Posts
lawnman said:
If a Viper has been wrecked, but it has been fixed perfect, will it ever be the same or is it still a wrecked car with a lot of depreciated value? If it checks out carfax good, but been in a fender bender, does it loose a lot of its value? Is it better to trade a car in at the dealer if its been wrecked?

Thanks for all the info!!
Ask RockStar....he'll tell you if its worth it or not!
 

·
STALKED
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
Wrecked as in salvage title?

that answer is yes only if you fit into one of 2 situations:

1. you are making a race car. Salvage title Vipers make perfect sense, as you'll be cutting out a bunch of stuff, replacing panels, etc. But then you buy it before it's fixed. Or,

2. you get a good enough deal and plan on keeping it for a long time. Otherwise, you'll bear the brunt of the depreciation and diminished value from "suspecting" buyers. Again - if you get a good deal on the car that was done right, then why not? Just don't ever think it'll be worth close to a "clean" titled car - and certainly don't pay close to what you can get a clean titled car for.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
Sgt. Snatch said:
lawnman said:
If a Viper has been wrecked, but it has been fixed perfect, will it ever be the same or is it still a wrecked car with a lot of depreciated value? If it checks out carfax good, but been in a fender bender, does it loose a lot of its value? Is it better to trade a car in at the dealer if its been wrecked?

Thanks for all the info!!
Ask RockStar....he'll tell you if its worth it or not!
What did RockStar do? /images/graemlins/confused
 

·
FUSTFU
Joined
·
8,346 Posts
ROLLMODEL said:
Sgt. Snatch said:
lawnman said:
If a Viper has been wrecked, but it has been fixed perfect, will it ever be the same or is it still a wrecked car with a lot of depreciated value? If it checks out carfax good, but been in a fender bender, does it loose a lot of its value? Is it better to trade a car in at the dealer if its been wrecked?

Thanks for all the info!!
Ask RockStar....he'll tell you if its worth it or not!
What did RockStar do? /images/graemlins/confused
His first Viper was a fixer upper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good title, but can tell that it's been wrecked, such as repainted or see signs of repair, clean title...how much less does it make the Viper worth versus buying a Viper that has never been wrecked...$5,000, $10,000, or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,275 Posts
lawnman said:
If a Viper has been wrecked, but it has been fixed perfect, will it ever be the same or is it still a wrecked car with a lot of depreciated value? If it checks out carfax good, but been in a fender bender, does it loose a lot of its value? Is it better to trade a car in at the dealer if its been wrecked?

Thanks for all the info!!
Put a honda motor in it and sell it on ebay or autotrader and don't tell the buyer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
I know a couple of Vipers on this forum that are rebuilt and it would be VERY hard to tell. Really, depends on who fixes it and how well.

I have often thought about buying a wrecked one and rebuilding it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,275 Posts
lawnman said:
Good title, but can tell that it's been wrecked, such as repainted or see signs of repair, clean title...how much less does it make the Viper worth versus buying a Viper that has never been wrecked...$5,000, $10,000, or what?
It depends on how much damage that was done. A salvage title is a salvage title IMHO it hakes the car worth half of a non salvage vehicle.

No warranty, No insurance value if it is wrecked or stolen, No trade in value.
They do make perfect sence as a race car sine the chances are it will get hit at the track.

It is the total cost and kind of damage that affects the value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
Ego Racer said:
I know a couple of Vipers on this forum that are rebuilt and it would be VERY hard to tell. Really, depends on who fixes it and how well.

I have often thought about buying a wrecked one and rebuilding it.

Hard to tell if it drove by at 155mph. Any half-assed enthusiast could tell if given a few minutes to check under the hood, wheel wells, panel alignment, etc.
 

·
Team Crown Recruiter
Joined
·
10,002 Posts
All that really matters is price. Salvaged title cars (any car, not just Vipers) have an obviously lower resale value.

A car is just a car....they can all be repaired as long as the damage isn't too extensive (in Ontario there are some wrecks that are stamped "Unrepairable"). Go over the car with a fine-toothed comb and try to source your parts before buying the car so as to keep the financial surprises to a minimum.

If it's cheap enough and you can finish it for a decent price then go for it.

The value of the car is subjective to potential buyers. A younger, less financially stable person looking for a Viper will probably jump at the idea of owning a Viper for an affordable price so long as the car checks out under inspection. Similarly, someone looking to build a race car will also rather have the money saved than be concerned with titles.

My '94 cost me 37K Cdn fully rebuilt by a professional. At the time a similar car in excellent condition was worth 65K. I wasn't concerned with a few scratches as long as the frame was properly repaired and the drivetrain was ok. It was the only Viper I could afford at the time.

I drove that car for 4 years and sold it for 2K more than it cost me.

Figure at least a 30-40% reduction from retail value if it has a salvage title. Mine didn't, which made it an even better deal, although by law I still had to make potential buyers aware of the fact that I had rebuilt it. Some buyers were understandably scared away, but many simply did their due diligence on the car and decided from there.

Bottom line being, if you can afford one that hasn't been hit, obviously that's the way to go. If you can't, and your heart is set on owning a Viper (like mine was at the time) then just make sure that you get a good enough deal to justify the sacrifice down the road when it's time to sell it.

I'm actually looking at a hit '04 SRT with 75 miles on it right now.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top