Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Should we remove post counter ?

• No,my post count is a direct reflection on my level of self esteem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No,Im in an all out war to be the number one post whore

• No,I need people to know that I post alot so they will like me

• Yes-It leads to a bunch of babble for the sake of an inflated post count,and serves no purpose

• Fuck off Clown Shoe--Mind your own business

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Maybe the post counter should be removed from such a prominent position. However it does have its advantages. Strangely many do want to have a higher post count. The competitive nature of the guys on this baord makes them want to have higher posts. On the flip side, this same competitive nature causes many threads to go off topic and ruin the nature and topic of the thread. Each thread eventually turns to shit. So how do we react? Im not sure personally. I like the fact that it helps add content and vigor to a new board. Furthermore it can help guage those who have been with the board and actually contribute it. In fact the counter is the only way we can manually guage who can vote. We often snivel at a troll or windbreaker who chimes in with only a handful of posts. So it has both advantages and disadvantages. maybe an alternate poll should allow for some methodology of deleting post whoring posts. But how do we do that without seeming dotmorugish?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
SmokinV10 said:
Maybe the post counter should be removed from such a prominent position.<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds familiar. Only those who do not "know" who everyone is would, IMHO, really care about the post count...so why all the whoring? No matter how many posts you may have, Smokin used for example ONLY, it does not change (good or bad) what you contribute, or how you do it. Only a passerby would likely care about that number....me thinks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
13,280 Posts
Well strangely it does matter. For example lets say someone with 30 posts over a year says something and has a strong opinion about it. ALthough his/her opinion may be valid, having only 30 posts over an entire year tells the members that this person is not highly active on the board. Moreover, due to their low board activity, they may not understand the personalities of the board and the reasons things are done. Whereas someone who has 800 posts in a year is a lot more active. Personally i think clownshoe has a good point in worrying about the post whoring. But i also think that the counter is a good thing.

·
Irredeemable
9,343 Posts
Pot calling the kettle black...
Is this all because I went on a posting rampage for once?
I didn't know that members with fast cars weren't allowed to play. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
J/K - I guess I'll slow down.

·
13,280 Posts
I cant say that im not guilty of doing the same thing you were :thumb: But I guess we pissed some people off because we trashed the purpose of some thrads..OOOPS /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think we havnet honed our skills to the point that trey has. Posts everywhere but is stealth, and never detracts. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
SmokinV10 said:
Well strangely it does matter. For example lets say someone with 30 posts over a year says something and has a strong opinion about it. Although his/her opinion may be valid, having only 30 posts over an entire year tells the members that this person is not highly active on the board. Moreover, due to their low board activity, they may not understand the personalities of the board and the reasons things are done. Whereas someone who has 800 posts in a year is a lot more active. Personally i think clownshoe has a good point in worrying about the post whoring. But i also think that the counter is a good thing. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess well agree to disagree. Lets say I only have 45 post by this time next year. But you see....I "lurk" (I guess is the term) here EVERY day. Your assumption is that I will not have a feeling for the personalities? LOL! At the other extreme....take someone who posts a ton, and this time next year has 3000 posts. Sadly, these 3000 posts were on par with red5 and his goat-fucking agenda (in other words...3000 posts that contributed little to the board). What do those 3000 posts mean to you? Like I said...if one is a regular here, the number does not matter because everyone already has judged the person's content. I know...at times I make a good argument for both sides! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I find it kinda funny that this discussion takes place though.....it was about three years ago that it was already discussed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A year from now with my 45 posts (hypothetically), it would be better if my content was judged. As long as the message is not troll-like, and is actually offering something of value (much like this post). My post count really won't mean much...other than the fact that I READ more than WRITE. Sucks that it is Sunday already! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW....sorry to interject...but how do you get spellcheck to actually update the text in the box??? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I think that if we switched out a post count for a "rate this user" indicator that would be displayed like the "rate this thread" indicator that would be better than a post count. Keep the post count in the profiles but remove it from the main posts. post whoreism is on the rise

·
Enlightened
28,627 Posts
Ratings for a user are displyed in the Profile of a user. We could also add this to the display in a thread where a user's rating appears under their name.

Then you could use the rating and the post count to decide for yourself what to think.

·
Administrator
753 Posts
User ratings are now displayed under the name of a posting user. You can rate a user by going into their profile and selecting a rating for the user.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Would someone explain to a simpleton the use of the "user rating"? What's to stop someone from lowering another's rating out of anger? And if so, then what's the true value of a "user rating" system.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
CitySnake said:
Would someone explain to a simpleton the use of the "user rating"? What's to stop someone from lowering another's rating out of anger? And if so, then what's the true value of a "user rating" system. <hr /></blockquote>

BINGO! It has the same value as the post count....none (IMHO). This is a close-knit group....what does Smokin's (as an example) post count or little stars mean to you City? Or you packet? Not one damn thing.

Is it your contention that they benefit the new people? LOL...in previous posts you have alluded to the fact that YOU (the board as a whole) want to use them to ujudge how much "weight" you should give a particular post. You are going in circles me thinks. You all know who you are, you know who is new, don't try to fool me. At the end of the day just what do the stars and post counts do for you?

If it helps you feel better about your station in life....good for you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Personally...I don't need the stars to tell me one thing about any of you...I've lurked long enough. As for newbies....well....lets just say that IMO they might be more inclined to lurk a bit longer, and get the feel for things, before jumping in. And we'll know who they are, won't we?

Seems like another thing that says "Hey, look at me...I have XXXX posts", or "XXX stars". Kinda funny how we have evolved back to square-one. LOL

·
Enlightened
28,627 Posts
The post count reflects the level of a users active participation on a board (most boards that I know have them). Users who "lurk" are not actively involved will naturally have a lower post count as they are just spectators.

The use of a post count to determine eligability for polling is simply a way to make sure that the active membership is involved and not ids which may have been setup for the sole purpose of voting a particular way or allow voting from people who dont really use the board in an active way.

In some cases, people might consider registration date as being more important.

Seems like it doesnt matter either way if you display them as people will interpert them as they please.

You can "rate" a user in their Profile by clicking on their name. There is a drop down box for you to use to rate a user. Since the number is an average, the number of votes will determine an overall value. If alot of people vote low, then you'll have a low number (just one low vote wont effect your average).

Pesonally, I dont care for User Profile votes - which is why they werent there in the first place. Seems more like a populatity contest to me and not very important. I only put them in place (3 lines of code in two files) so that you could see for yourself how they are used and make your own decision on how they might be used.

·
Enlightened
28,627 Posts
FYI, mouse over a rating and it will tell you how many votes were made to get that rating.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
That's cool PJ.
I just can't keep up with the "stars". WTF is going on???

·
13,280 Posts
With a total of 19 votes on this Poll and having it run for almost 36 hours I am going to lock this thread. The final tally was 14 against removing the counter and 5 for removing the counter. According to this poll, the post counter will remain in tact. If anyone has a recommended alternative to help eliminate "post whoring" you are welcome to start a poll.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.