Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just notice that when I open the driver's door, I can hear a clicking noise after the door is "popped" open. If I swing the door through the full range I can reproduce the clicking sound at about the midway open point. So I popped off the rubber boot around the bundle of wires and found that by moving it a little bit causes the same clicking noise.

So I am 99.999% certain that I have a short in there, but how the hell do I repair it? It seems as though the short is somewhere inside the car along that bundle. I cannot see an easy way to repair this.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
/images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Pull back the rubber piece that is between the door and the door jam. Chances are you rubbed a wire. If it is not cut badly, just wrap it with electrical tape and call it a day. If it is cut, cut the bad wire off and splice it back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did pull back the rubber boot. The problem is further inside the car. If I stick my finger in the hole where the boot came off the and "follow" the wires back into the car and move it around in there I can hear the clicking. So it is not directly under the boot.

Mark
/images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is the clicking noise like the sound it makes when you pop the door open? Mine sounds like I'm pushing the button while I swing the door open. I just never had the time to actually look at it but knew it had something to do with that bundle of wires running through the door. I think it also causes my speakers to cut in and out when opening the door while the radio is on :ugh:

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Chrysler offers a wiring harness for each door, part #4763075ae is for drivers door and is cheap at $399.00 list price. I have seen a number of these harnesses go bad, and the # has been updated/superceded several times. You can unplug the harness inside the car at the drivers kick panel and repair any wire that has damage. In my experience, the usual cause is in the connector itself, either a cracked terminal or wire pulled out. Good luck and if you do decide to replace the harness, it connects to window, door handle, door latch, speaker and power mirror so make sure you disconnect everything. :thumb:

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Ive had my door fixed numerous times. The latest round had half the wires severed in between the door and the jam. The tech just re-soldered teh wires. I think Im going to ask for a replacement harness when I get motivated enough to go back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ORIGINALGTS said:
Chrysler offers a wiring harness for each door, part #4763075ae is for drivers door and is cheap at $399.00 list price. I have seen a number of these harnesses go bad, and the # has been updated/superceded several times. You can unplug the harness inside the car at the drivers kick panel and repair any wire that has damage. In my experience, the usual cause is in the connector itself, either a cracked terminal or wire pulled out. Good luck and if you do decide to replace the harness, it connects to window, door handle, door latch, speaker and power mirror so make sure you disconnect everything. :thumb:
Thanks OG! I did not know that it could be unplugged from the inside. I will take a look and see if I can fix this myself. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Mark
/images/graemlins/smiles

·
"Unremarkable"
377 Posts
I am going on the third fix for this problem. First one was resolder, second was replacement, third is ???? Very frustrating!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.