Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Been a longtime lurker, finally new owner.

Anyways, wanted to change my shifter knob, just the knob, not the shaft... I like the OEM shaft, unlike some other posts I've read. But everything I've read makes it sound like I need to take the entire thing out even though I just want to change the ball... do I understand correctly?

Not mechanically inclined and seems like a lot of work for an aesthetic choice. And if I do have to do all of that but only have purchased a new knob, does that mean I need to get a new stick/shaft/other innuendo-thing in order to use the new knob?

Thanks in advance.
-D

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
You can easily change just the knob. Carefully pull the boot down to expose the hex jam nut. Loosen it about a turn or so, then unscrew the knob, replace with new. Tighten the nut, raise the boot and you're set.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I may be getting my cars wrong as I've replaced the factory ones on 3 of my cars but something tells me the Viper is a non standard thread. Can someone confirm or deny for the OP? Thought that was why I got the adapter that's on my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all. Glad I dont have to take apart the entire console as I was seeing in some threads. To be clear though, when I unscrew the hex jam nut and then the knob, the shaft will stay in, correct? I only have the knob but I see that IPSCO sells shafts if need be.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

2 sizes, assume talking these?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

2 sizes, assume talking these?
No, they do sell these: IPS139-X Shift Knob adapter

But I don't have them, just wanted to make sure I wont need them either because all i have is the knob/top of the shifter to replace.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can easily change just the knob. Carefully pull the boot down to expose the hex jam nut. Loosen it about a turn or so, then unscrew the knob, replace with new. Tighten the nut, raise the boot and you're set.
Hey Dean, am having trouble finding this hex jam nut. I pulled the boot down pretty far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a 2000 2001 2002 car?

The whole shaft unscrews and you put a wrench here too.
View attachment 154326

But i bet you need to pop the top metal piece with the gear numbers off.
Yeah, 2000.
No way to just take the top knob off or in order to do that do i need to take the whole shaft off?

I was twisting just the part that I took a picture of above and got like 1.5 turns and just thought I was going to break something so stopped and turned it back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Can lower & use new shift ball with quick Ipsco order if you choose…
Nice. That guy is awesome.
So what i think ill do is call Mike, I believe his name is, at IPSCO and see if the shifter shaft adapters he sells could be used with my 8ball shifter knob and if so then just purchase the adapter from him and install like that video shows.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
You don't need to remove the cover as you already pushed the boot down and have access to the jam nut and shaft as you showed in your picture. That is just extra unnecessary work that can break stuff.

You did look at the stock shifter picture i linked for your year of car right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't need to remove the cover as you already pushed the boot down and have access to the jam nut and shaft as you showed in your picture. That is just extra unnecessary work that can break stuff.

You did look at the stock shifter picture i linked for your year of car right?
The one with the red arrow?

What I understood from that is that I should put one crescent wrench there where you pointed and keep one on the jam nut as I have. Do you know which one I should twist and which direction? Ive read conflicting things.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Just loose the nut a little bit (half a turn should do) and shaft turns by hand.

Just the standard Lefty loosy and righty tighty.

One wrench on the nut, one wrench on the shaft flat machined red arrow section.
You are going to turn the nut clockwise (i.e. tightening it, thinking about why tightening it as i am not going to tell you why in this thread but will if you can't figure why) and the shaft counter clockwise by hand (you should be able to turn it by hand).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Just loose the nut a little bit (half a turn should do) and shaft turns by hand.

Just the standard Lefty loosy and righty tighty.

One wrench on the nut, one wrench on the shaft flat machined red arrow section.
You are going to turn the nut clockwise (i.e. tightening it, thinking about why tightening it as i am not going to tell you why in this thread but will if you can't figure why) and the shaft counter clockwise by hand (you should be able to turn it by hand).
Exactly- looking down from above loosening would be turning clockwise. Hold bottom but, turn shifter shaft clockwise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts