Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MGW shift knob, but I am interested in the B&M etc. short throw shifters. Are they worth the money and are they an easy install? I see Roe has a Hurst version, any opinions on who has the best shifter?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yeah, what Smokin said.

I dig the B&M, with my stock shift knob. It was an easy install.

I have read somewhere on the Alley here that some have complained that the MGW knob on the B&M Shifter makes the whole assembly too short for comfort (too little leverage).

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smokin said:
I have the B&M shifter. Its a nice billet piece, worth the money and noticeably shortens the throw. I havent seen the hurst one.
Smokin, what shifter knob are you using, MGW??

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
We have a quanity of SVS shifters available. We have always sold them for around $345.00 without including the 2 shift bolts that allow you to shorten the height from stock either 1" or 2".

I'm working on changing many prices on the products that we sell.

The SVS shifter will now be selling for SRP $300.00 and that includes the 2 adjustment bolts. I will be looking for resellers interested in dealing this quality shifter.

They are a very solid and reliable shifter that is the upgrade from our original style we made over 5 years ago for the Viper T-56. Changes were made into the new style shifter from customer response. The spring tension was improved, size was changed to accept the stock dust boot and the feel is very noticeable.

The SVS short ratio shifters will work on every year Viper, Gen, I, II and III

Stock 2003, old style SVS shifter and new style SVS shifter
[image]http://www.supervipersystems.com/shifter/allshifters.JPG[/image]

Old style and new style showing size difference to accept the stock dust boot.

[image]http://www.supervipersystems.com/shifter/oldnew.JPG[/image]

New SVS shifter with height adjustment bolts

[image]http://www.supervipersystems.com/shifter/new.JPG[/image]

The old style shifters are definitely an improvement over a stock shifter. The new style is another very noticeable improvement and step up from the old style SVS shifter.

I have old style shifters and will sell them for $100ea if anyone wants them.
If you are going to go through the installation of putting in a shifter I would recommend just getting the new style.

Or you can go and get a B&M or Hurst, which ever you decide :thumb:

PM me if you have any other questions.

Ron

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ron! Can I use any shifter nob with your setup?

I'll be calling you when I am ready to order.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Simms said:
Thanks Ron! Can I use any shifter nob with your setup?

I'll be calling you when I am ready to order.
Simms,

As long as the threads are the same as the threads in the stock shifter knob. I believe the stock threads are 1/2" 20. The course threads on the height adjustment bolts, screw into the shifter arm. The fine threads are for your shifter knob.

If someone still wants to use the isolator, you can screw it into the SVS shifter arm and place your shifter knob on the isolator, just like stock. I would suggest taking it off because you get a better direct connection feel from the shifter to the trans. Once you take off the isolator you will feel slightly more vibration in the shifter knob. Just have your g/f do some of the shifting, she will like the feel and vibration. :thumb: Both end threads are the same on the isolator as the SVS height adjustment bolts.

Hey Big Carrot? Was there a noticeable difference of increased vibration when you took off the isolator?

You will have 3 choices to use. 2" lower than stock, 1" lower than stock or put the isolator on and keep it stock height.

If for some reason your shifter knob has different threads than stock, let me know and I could make a short run of bolts with different shifter knob threads.

[image]http://www.supervipersystems.com/shifter/isolator.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.supervipersystems.com/shifter/shifternbolt.JPG[/image]

jR.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,669 Posts
THOR said:
Yeah, what Smokin said.

I dig the B&M, with my stock shift knob. It was an easy install.

I have read somewhere on the Alley here that some have complained that the MGW knob on the B&M Shifter makes the whole assembly too short for comfort (too little leverage).
I have the MGW First Strike knob on my stock shifter and love it. It allows a very short throw. I couldn't imagine it coupled with the B&M for an even shorter shift.

I think it may depend on which year model Viper you have. I have '96. The later cars with the stock round shift ball seem to have a longer shifter shaft. These may be able to benefit from a shorter shifter and a more recessed knob.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.