Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has a shift light? Any recomendations? I don't want a 5" monster tach or anything, just a light letting me know when to shift. Autometer, VDO...?

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Don't remember, but someone makes a really small light in MANY colors. Looks like a mini mag flashlight. If someone doesn't chime in, I'll try and go find it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great. Something small that I could even mount in my dash between the tach and speedo is one idea.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I have a full-size Auto Meter in my left A/C vent with an rpm actuated "pill" that can be changed. I like it. And if your car is anything like mine, you won't believe how far off the stock tach is.

Chad

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do the shift lights hook up to a car without a Vec2, MSD box, etc.? Where does the rpm signal come from?

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
From what I remember you can hook up the shift light to one of the wires off the factory tach and it reads the voltage. That wire should comes off the factory "PCM" (if they still call it that)

·
Registered
19,616 Posts
I have one as well - like the hightech above...

Don't know, maybe just me, but I am not a huge fan of it... I have it mounted on top of the steering column... Maybe mine is set too high - but they only time you use is when you are doing some serious shifting - and even then - I don't tend to see it...

I dunno - has done me little good even at the track...
But what the hell do I know...

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Hightech looks like a great looking unit, but the best mounting location looks like a challenge. Do more of you have experience with its accuracy and/or examples (pics) of mounting in a Viper?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Hisserman said:
The Hightech looks like a great looking unit, but the best mounting location looks like a challenge. Do more of you have experience with its accuracy and/or examples (pics) of mounting in a Viper?

I use it as a shift light and a window switch for my Nitrous....works just fine...and the owner of the company is SRT Mike (aka...sheepfucker) on this forum... :rofl:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Simms, might want to consider a G tech Pro competition unit for around 240.00 US funds.

It has a built in shift light with adjustment digitally, no pills. Also runs on a 4 led system I think it is. First one goes off at set point minus 500, second light comes online at set point minus 250 and then all 4 flash at setpoint.

Best part is all you have to do is plug it into your lighter.

Consider the built in dyno feature, 60 foot times, 1/4 and 1/8 times, lateral G force in all 4 directions and the option to shoot it to your hard drive to analyze runs all a bonus if your going to spend some cash on just a light.

I love my Gtech, lots of fun to play with. 100% accurate?, probably not to the hundredth for timing, but I would say within a tenth. Any incline of any sort throws the built in "gyrometers" into fits for obvious reasons.

best of luck,

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all input.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This isn't a great picture, but it shows the size of my shift light (Autometer) next to the boost gauge on my steering column. It's about 4" long and about 1" in diameter.

Attachments

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,863 Posts
CitySnake said:
Don't remember, but someone makes a really small light in MANY colors. Looks like a mini mag flashlight. If someone doesn't chime in, I'll try and go find it.
i have this one.. http://www.raptorperformance.com/

but i dont know if they make a 10-cyl version

·
Registered
494 Posts
ryan0 said:
CitySnake said:
i have this one.. http://www.raptorperformance.com/

but i dont know if they make a 10-cyl version
The Raptor supports 5-cyl which is probably what you want to work with a Viper anyway. I was eye-balling this one myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts