Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Shelby\" Front Facia

ViperVas' post recently about the "Shelby" Vipers got me thinking about how much I liked the open front facia.

Does anyone know if they (just the facia) are available? Maybe my first call should be to Fitzgerald Dodge?

OK, I just sent them an email, but I'm sure that they just had someone manufacture it back in '96. Anyone know who that was?

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: \"Shelby\" Front Facia

Any good body shop should be able to modify the original facia to look like that one. Should be much cheaper and alot less hassle then trying to find this one. Even if you did find it, you would have to paint it, which would cost you about as much as it would to just modify your existing one.

BTW, I don't care much for it, I wouldn't wast my money.

Bill

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

2002GTS said:
Any good body shop should be able to modify the original facia to look like that one. Should be much cheaper and alot less hassle then trying to find this one. Even if you did find it, you would have to paint it, which would cost you about as much as it would to just modify your existing one.

BTW, I don't care much for it, I wouldn't wast my money.

Bill
I have never really inspected one up close. The photos and my vague memory suggest that it wasn't a modified stock version. I remember it having flatted areas that distinguished it from the stock piece without the cross members (I certainly could be wrong).

Anyway, an open mouth always looks more badass...more track IMO. I always thought the nose was the worst looking part of the Viper exterior.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts

The stock one is plastic - i don't see any body shop modifying it (unless they hack it up and bondo/glass it - no thanks!). The other big problem it has is, since its plastic, paint won't stay on it. I know several who have had their stock piece repainted and had the paint peel off due to the flex in the plastic.

I think it makes the car look like a catfish personally, but if you want it, get a body shop to make a custom fiberglass version.

·
Registered
141 Posts

If you use a flex additive in the primer then you can paint the front without it cracking or peeling. There is also a material used to fix and modify plasic. My bodyshop fixed the rear bumper to my Boxster using it and I had one of my motorcycle fairing done with it also. Looks perfect and does not crack, infact it is stronger then original.

Bill

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

It would seem like the lip of the fascia might sac if you remove the center section. The stock fascia is not merely plastic, its urethane. It will flex A LOT. Im wondering if they put some reinforcements in that lip or its a completely re-made glass piece.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I belive that the fascia on the Shelby Vipers was actually a stock part that was modified by fitzgerald Motorsports at their facitlity. It does have extra support beams in behind the plastic. Here is a more closeup pic from the NEVCA tech session. I do have this pic at full 8 megapixel resolution if anyone wants a closer view.

[image]http://s92101963.onlinehome.us/shelbyfront0.jpg[/image]

Nick

·
Registered
33,838 Posts

CitySnake said:
ViperVas' post recently about the "Shelby" Vipers got me thinking about how much I liked the open front facia.

Does anyone know if they (just the facia) are available? Maybe my first call should be to Fitzgerald Dodge?

OK, I just sent them an email, but I'm sure that they just had someone manufacture it back in '96. Anyone know who that was?
They performed the conversion in house, & that includes the removal of the crosshairs & repair/blending to the facia.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

It's not hard to do this. SEM makes a urethane repair compound, I have repaired many torn bumper covers and never had one return. Just cut out the cross section, use a heat gun to "reform" and glue in a new section of urethane, sand and refinish. I was going to do this to mine to show off my inner cooler, but got the Venom facia instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.