Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you will remember from past posts, I was involved in a rear end collision with an uninsured motorist. The other driver hadn't paid her premium so her policy had been canceled a few weeks prior to the wreck. Not that it would have mad a difference she had only purchased the state minimum of $10k property damage. I believe this is way too low, most cars cost much more then $10k these days.

My policy was a stated value policy for an amount of $65k. Hagerty told me to send the car to a shop of my choice and have them write up an estimate for the repair and they would pay it. Looking back, this is what I should have done. Instead, I told them I wanted the car totaled, so they said they would send an adjuster out to look at it.

The adjuster said he needed the car at a shop to look at it, so i left it with Doug Levin, extremely glad I left it with him. The original estimate was for $30k. At this point I knew i wasn't going to fix the car, so there couldn't be any supplements made later. I had to get the first estimate right. Doug got this raised to $48k! This require him to spend alot of time on the car, including cutting away alot of panels to expose damaged pieces.

I accepted the $48k, then sold the car for $20k. End result, I got $68k for a 2002 GTS with 25k miles on it. As many of you know this is a great amount.

If any of guys are in simular situation I highly recomend sending you car to Doug Levin are some one who knows Vipers. It helps alot.

Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I think it is a aggreed value policy. The underwriter has to accept the value of the car. Thats done before the policy is issued, after that they cannot pay less.

Bill

·
Camel Farmer
9,841 Posts
I use Hagerty on my 68 GTO and never filed a claim yet-knock on wood. How in the heck did you get this on your Viper? Mileage restrictions? Great post and thank you!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hagerty has different types of policies. Vipers go in their exotic car category. The price is double that of the collector car category but still extremely cheap. There is not mileage restriction, but it can not be your daily driver. When you apply for the policy an underwriter talks to you to get an idea of how you use the car, if their satisfied they give you the policy.

Bill

·
Camel Farmer
9,841 Posts
Bill AKA 2000GTS, thanks again :brownose: I just added my Viper onto my existing policy and saved myself some more loot to the tume of $1000+ SAVED! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Shit, they were about the same price as Geico for me! My coverages are a LOT higher with Geico too. Sucks, I was hoping to magically save a bunch of money with someone besides Geico.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
BigCarrot said:
Shit, they were about the same price as Geico for me! My coverages are a LOT higher with Geico too. Sucks, I was hoping to magically save a bunch of money with someone besides Geico.

Hey Carrot
Give my buddy a call 817-226-5464 ask for Randy King.
I dont know if you like/deal with farmers , but he is
a heck of a lot cheaper than geico.Might be worth looking into.
Tell him Jerry sent you, he's a freind of the family's.

·
Camel Farmer
9,841 Posts
I should have prefaced my post by saying I live in the Peoples Soviet Democratic Republic of New Jersey, and with no accidents and tickets I was paying close to $6,000 a year. Normal states might not save anything :yeahthat:

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
2002GTS said:
Hagerty has different types of policies. Vipers go in their exotic car category. The price is double that of the collector car category but still extremely cheap. There is not mileage restriction, but it can not be your daily driver. When you apply for the policy an underwriter talks to you to get an idea of how you use the car, if their satisfied they give you the policy.

Bill

Just out of curiosity Bill, how did you describe the use of your car? Weekend use only? Tracking the Car at the Glenn, For local car shows only?? How'd you take care of the description?

Thanks and appreciatively,

Jay K.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JGK95 said:
Just out of curiosity Bill, how did you describe the use of your car? Weekend use only? Tracking the Car at the Glenn, For local car shows only?? How'd you take care of the description?

Thanks and appreciatively,

Jay K.

I told the I only use the car for social things, like going to car shows, etc. They just want to know that you don't use it to do things like going to get milk, regardless if it's the weekend or not. Hell, I got in the wreck on a Tuesday.

They did ask if I entered my car in car show, I said no. Also, they want to know that the car is kept secure when not in use. I keep my car in a garage.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.