Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving around Friday I stopped in at Colonial Dodge to see about getting some seasonal maintenance done,coolant system flush & fill, same with brake fluid. I met their Viper Tech,his name is Roger and he checked my car over and told me not to do it and that everything was just fine.I have a 99 ACR with almost 5,000 miles with the fluids that came in it except oil of course.I have changed the oil 3 times and am getting ready to do it again. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I'm not sure I'd trust Colonial Dodge. In the metro Detroit area, I'd go to either Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth or Richmond Chrysler.

Is your ACR red? I may have passed you at 13 & VanDyke on Friday..

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
All your fluids should be replaced at this time - it's going on 5 years... Your brake fluid is shot, your coolant is OLD (even the orange / pink stuff says 5 years...) and your other fluids should be changed just due to age. (clutch, tranny, diff, power steering....)

I'd probably change dealers AND fluids.....

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I'm not familiar with Colonial Dodge, but I take my Viper to Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth and will never take it anywhere else. They are top notch and the service manager is a former Viper owner. I try to do as much of the maintenance I can myself, but for things I can't do or for warranty items I take it there.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,793 Posts
Change those fluids!!

When I purchased my ACR a few months ago it had 500 miles on it (2001) and before I took delivery...ALL fluids were changed. Fluids are cheap...the stuff they protect...EXPENSIVE!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
PassinGas...that tech's an idiot. You need your brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant, trans, diff, and oil changed. You should buy MotulRBF 600 for brake and clutch and can find it at Telegraph/Dixie motorcycle shop. Zerex G05 coolant in gold container at Autozone. Trans, diff (make sure you get 4 oz additive) at dealer. Oil Mobil 1.

You're going to spend a lot of money at a dealer getting this done. I'll have a lift at my house in two weeks so call me if you want to save a bunch of cash and want to ensure it was done correctly. Dick Scott is the only local place to go though, they are top notch and Rod Harris is the best.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after I got the first response from JT I checked the Local dealers for Certified Viper Tech's and went to see a few of them. The 2nd tech that looked at my car told me the same as the first one. During our conversation he told me that other than oil changes he hardly see's a Viper. On to the 3rd Dealership & tech. Upon driving in I noticed 2 SRT's in for service (mechanical) & the tech came over to greet me. He is an older guy that told me that he works on a lot of vipers and that I should get mt cooling system flushed and maybe some trans service (check & fluid change). He told me to leave the car and he would go over & check out everything. Wanting to keep my car in top shape I entrusted it to him. I figured I should at least get that stuff done.I will let you know about what work he does and what it costs. Anticipating hefty Viper tax, I'm going to keep the jar of KY near the phone. Thanks to all for the responses!

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
You can do most of it yourself(if you're so inclined) much cheaper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts