Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up, I don't own a viper but I am looking for a used T56 for my rx-7 project this fall. Tried searching, didn't find too much.

Are there any junkyards that commanly have vipers, or viper specific junkyards? Any vendors that might have used ones?

About how much will I be looking at for a used unit in very good condition, 800-1200 us?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
don't forget WS6 Trans Ams and Camaro SS's used the same tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep! That's most likely what I'll end up going with (more comman, usually cheaper in price). Just thought I'd check out some other options and sources for viper ones as well.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
don't forget WS6 Trans Ams and Camaro SS's used the same tranny.
they are close but not the same.

do you know what shaft length you need, there are 2 different input shaft lengths, and the viper tranny is substantially stronger than the mustang or camaro version. They also have different shifter locations and what not. Ebay has a few, most end up going for around $14-1600

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't have the most knowledge about T56 transmisions and their applications, but correct me if I'm wrong:

T56 in all vipers is the same, and is rated to handle 450 ft-lbs of torque.
T56 in LS1 powered cars handles the same torque (450) but has different input shaft length, and maybe a couple other small things.
T56 in LT1 powered cars is the weaker one rated at 400 ft-lbs.

I'm not sure at all about the Ford applications.

Anything wrong with that info? Anything to add?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts