Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

San Antonio RCR - Something Doesn't Add Up

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  1TONY1 
#1 ·
San Antonio RCR - Something Doesn\'t Add Up

I've been so slammed here at the shop I haven't been able to let it all soak in, but something is strange with the MPH given @ RCR. I guess the first clue was that someone with a bone stock Viper posted they ran 124mph in the 1/4 @ RCR. I know for a fact that it's totally absurd unless of course the track is running downhill which we know isn't the case. Anyone else notice some inconsistences?

#4 ·
Re: San Antonio RCR - Something Doesn\'t Add Up

It was 40-65 degrees @ 35% humidity with 70-72 degree track temp. with an elevation of 250feet. Never in the History of the world have their been better conditions for racing.

Great track that had fresh triple coat VHT to half track and the track was clean(had rained for a week before the race)

If you look at power and times as ratios of conditions(To a point) this does not seem like such a stretch

I think GTS dean ran that time 11.8 at 124 in a car that has nothing more than a cold air intake. I know the E.T. was a first but I think he has run close to those MPH's before. He Dyno'd at 420(ish) RWHP?

#9 ·

You don't need to Viper, let the mother f'er burn.. Burn m'fer, burn... /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

#10 ·

Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Gerald said:
Why the hell does Larry only have 2 Sneakey Petes?? WTF??
I'm wondering WTH he's posting and not working on my Viper?!!!

LOL
Just for you Chuck I gave him a big fat 1. For :sleeping: on the job. I'm sure Larry will tell you he has his three best men on your car now. Of course just like the TV commercial they are eating lunch sitting on the hood!!! Actually I buffed him up with a 5 spot!!!

#11 ·

Larry,

I ran a 12.03@125.0 mph that day as well. There WAS a quartering tailwind - I'm guessing about 5-10mph most of the time. The track altitude is 600' and like Nate said, the conditions were absolutely perfect. SA Raceway is just over 1 year old and is sanctioned by IHRA. They have a national tour stop coming in late March. I'm sending my profilograph over tomorrow or Friday to check for bumps, so they can grind it smooth before the Nats.

I was there a couple of weeks ago on a cool (humid) Wed. nite and ran a jillion 12.0s to 12.3s at 123 mph. Couldn't get out of the hole worth a darn. I had a bunch of high-1.90s and 2.0 60s.

#12 ·

GTS Dean said:
Larry,

I ran a 12.03@125.0 mph that day as well. There WAS a quartering tailwind - I'm guessing about 5-10mph most of the time. The track altitude is 600' and like Nate said, the conditions were absolutely perfect. SA Raceway is just over 1 year old and is sanctioned by IHRA. They have a national tour stop coming in late March. I'm sending my profilograph over tomorrow or Friday to check for bumps, so they can grind it smooth before the Nats.

I was there a couple of weeks ago on a cool (humid) Wed. nite and ran a jillion 12.0s to 12.3s at 123 mph. Couldn't get out of the hole worth a darn. I had a bunch of high-1.90s and 2.0 60s.
Dean, is it really 600 feet....I humbly submit to your intamate topagraphical knowledge of the area. I just thought it was south of the Balcones(sp) escarpment and around 250 feet. I think I remember Muerillo saying his shop was at 400ish. He is in Garden Ridge and I would say he is south of the Balcones by less than a mile.....Hell don't you live ON the fault?

#13 ·

Yes, it's really 600 feet. I bought myself one of THESE for Christmas! It tells you just about everything that a GPS receiver doesn't. Now I know how much the atmosphere is influencing either my car, or my hot mix plant's burner. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

#14 ·

GTS Dean said:
Yes, it's really 600 feet. I bought myself one of THESE for Christmas! It tells you just about everything that a GPS receiver doesn't. Now I know how much the atmosphere is influencing either my car, or my hot mix plant's burner. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
Dean, that thing is COOL. I will have to get one. My only question is it takes Barometric readings to obtain altitude, their could be a few 100 feet worth of error in a barometric reading. Although for our purposes if it was calibrated properly on the day of the race regardless of ground elevation your barometric pressure would be equivalent to 600 feet. for racing purposes that is all that matters. Does your GPS agree and is that how you calibrate the barometer?

Again, I acquiesce that you are the expert in all things terrain in central Texas. What is the elevation of Alamo dragway?

#16 ·

I can drive for 2 hours & 100+ miles, and it will be off only about 100 feet. It's close enough. I cross-check it with USGS Quads and airport elevations off of Sectionals. When I'm near a known elevation, I reset to the elevation, then set the local barometer to match. For unknown locations, you need to get to your destination as quickly as possible, then set the reference alt/baro to be reasonably accurate while you're there.

#17 ·

San Antonio airport is 809' above sea level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.