Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Salvage title question

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mxblue23 
#1 ·
Is there a safety inspection or something like that to get a salvage car back on the road? Or do you just fix it and plate it?

#2 ·
Chuck:
I am not sure about state specific, but here in HI all cars (new or old, salavage or not) needs a safety inspection (very simple process). But salvage vehicles do not require any additional inspection. I also know in WA state (where they do not have a safety inspection) does not require any additional inspection either.
I hope that helps.
Thanks

#3 ·
every state is differant. In NY they require an inspection by the NY State Troopers. It costs $110 for this (including title fee) They don't give a fuck if the car is fixed right or not, they are just looking for stolen parts. They want to see all your recipts and look for vin numbers on the actual parts on the car. BTY it takes 6 months to get an appointment for them to look at your car. In PA you must take 4 photos of the vehicle after it was repaired and have them signed and dated by a licensed inpsection mech. A safety inspection is done and then you mail the entire applciation in (with recepts of the parts you used and description of the repairs). Costs $25 plus $22 for inspection and takes about 1 month to get the title back (branded reconstructed) The kicker is that states do not have to honor another states branded title. NY will not accpet a PA reconstructed title so if I sell the car in NY I have to go thru the NY process to get a title in that state.

#4 ·
Here in Ontario you have to get a structural inspection, and it has to list everything that was fixed, replaced, or re-used from the original accident. After that, you get your normal safety inspection, emissions test, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.