Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ricky in his DP TTG converted to RWD vs. Yoga Frank (sagevviper on here I think) on the TI runway. Its a nail biter. Enjoy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_k8RqIQ7Y4[/ame]

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Seems to me that a camera directly in line with the finish line with a long lense shooting 120 fps would have cleared that up pretty easily. I always see these videos where the angle makes it hard to figure out who won and I wonder why the hell they chose some of these angles to determine the winners of close races.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Seems to me that a camera directly in line with the finish line with a long lense shooting 120 fps would have cleared that up pretty easily. I always see these videos where the angle makes it hard to figure out who won and I wonder why the hell they chose some of these angles to determine the winners of close races.
cool story brah

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The camera men at the finish line are elevated in a scissor lift. The lift is mechanical and cannot be driven on grass. So we keep them off to the side where there is pavement and that access way is at an angle, not parallel with the the runway - so it's very difficult having perfect alignment. Until smaller cameras like go-pros have a battery life to last 8 hour days we can't use those right at the finish line. We will adjust the lifts line of site better for the next event.

·
Suspended by order of Blacksnake99
9,913 Posts
The camera men at the finish line are elevated in a scissor lift. The lift is mechanical and cannot be driven on grass. So we keep them off to the side where there is pavement and that access way is at an angle, not parallel with the the runway - so it's very difficult having perfect alignment. Until smaller cameras like go-pros have a battery life to last 8 hour days we can't use those right at the finish line. We will adjust the lifts line of site better for the next event.
Then why don't you try putting the finish line cones straight across from the scissor lift? :arcade:

Might be important to see who wins.

·
Suspended
25,637 Posts
Then why don't you try putting the finish line cones straight across from the scissor lift? :arcade:

Look at the big brain on Tim.

Reactions: Ozzi

·
Registered
927 Posts

Because they are trying to maximize the length of the shut-down area, as the cars reaching 200 mph already have barely enough room to do so. Many have to use parachutes to do so.

There are reasons for everything, we've been running this event for a few years now. It would be easier just to set up a camera on a tripod at the line, to consult if there are any photo-finishes.

·
Premium Member
19,096 Posts

Pffft, then we miss out on all the drama..................... :D

·
Premium Member
19,096 Posts
Because they are trying to maximize the length of the shut-down area, as the cars reaching 200 mph already have barely enough room to do so. Many have to use parachutes to do so.

There are reasons for everything, we've been running this event for a few years now. It would be easier just to set up a camera on a tripod at the line, to consult if there are any photo-finishes.
They could put a remote hi speed camera at the finish line like the show Street Outlaws, just a thought.

·
Registered
927 Posts
They could put a remote hi speed camera at the finish line like the show Street Outlaws, just a thought.
Good suggestion.

Honestly though, in all the years we've had this event, there has never been a photo-finish that was as close as this one. What makes it even harder to see, is that the Lambo was leading the race all the way until the last few feet. 99.99% of the other races are pretty clear who won.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I love to see 2 monsters have such a close finish!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Don't think I've seen an ACR running with twins at these comps, less' I'm having a brainfart. I would've thought the aero would really start holding it back at the high end, but maybe the aero squishes down so hard = no loss of traction :D

·
Super Duper Member
3,119 Posts
Don't think I've seen an ACR running with twins at these comps, less' I'm having a brainfart. I would've thought the aero would really start holding it back at the high end, but maybe the aero squishes down so hard = no loss of traction :D
I do believe squishes is the technical term

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
nice but no camera at the line is a failure. there are plenty of ways to do it with a go pro safely via a pole mount and wireless, back back battery, run a second or even a third as backups. in between so many runs have someone go down and make sure all is good but the app alone gives you pretty good control over it. fuck run an extension cord with a charger on it to it. hope you guys fix that as your scientific straight line is BS. or better yet you could run a set of battery powered lasers that actuate a light on each side when the tires cross the path to indicate a win.....basic stuff. nice runs by both cars though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Then why don't you try putting the finish line cones straight across from the scissor lift? :arcade: Might be important to see who wins.
9 Baller nailed it. Our distances on the runway are fixed and need to be consistent. If they are not, we will never hear the end of Mullet bitching at us.

Jokes aside, we have never thought a race could be that close at the finish. Its a learning process and 1320 will be lined up at the finish line in April. Their ability to capture and replay close runs is awesome so they got it under control.

nice but no camera at the line is a failure. there are plenty of ways to do it with a go pro safely via a pole mount and wireless, back back battery, run a second or even a third as backups. in between so many runs have someone go down and make sure all is good but the app alone gives you pretty good control over it. fuck run an extension cord with a charger on it to it. hope you guys fix that as your scientific straight line is BS. or better yet you could run a set of battery powered lasers that actuate a light on each side when the tires cross the path to indicate a win.....basic stuff. nice runs by both cars though.
This is a three day event. We run about 8 hours a day. Sounds easy to drop a go-pro at the finish line but battery life, memory, manpower, and so on are the challenges there. There is no power outlet on a runway for a hard line. Everything is wireless and battery operated on the runway. This battery powered laser actuator stuff you speak of would be the shit though.

Edit: The crazy thing about the run is Yoga man right before the finish. He really does haze the tires and that's why you see the puff of smoke. That's some dope V-tec kickin in.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
9 Baller nailed it. Our distances on the runway are fixed and need to be consistent. If they are not, we will never hear the end of Mullet bitching at us.

Jokes aside, we have never thought a race could be that close at the finish. Its a learning process and 1320 will be lined up at the finish line in April. Their ability to capture and replay close runs is awesome so they got it under control.

This is a three day event. We run about 8 hours a day. Sounds easy to drop a go-pro at the finish line but battery life, memory, manpower, and so on are the challenges there. There is no power outlet on a runway for a hard line. Everything is wireless and battery operated on the runway. This battery powered laser actuator stuff you speak of would be the shit though.

Edit: The crazy thing about the run is Yoga man right before the finish. He really does haze the tires and that's why you see the puff of smoke. That's some dope V-tec kickin in.
power wise, a small solar panel would power a go pro. pretty sure the new go pros have no size limitation on their SD cards. why not contact gopro direct and ask them for a solution to cater to your individual needs, hell, or any other camera manufacturer. tell them exactly what you need. could also with the same token of the laser indicator rig a short burst of the finish line camera to start a high speed recording about 100 feet from the finish so it automates it. limits the battery and space consumption.

a small generator might be the other alternative for the power out there. a little 1000 watt inverter could run all of the equipment down there and then some and it would take next to nothing in fuel to run it all day long. just trying to help as it seems you are working to make it better and are open to suggestions and constructive criticism. I have not been to one but would like to in the future. if you need some pro sound PA / music support I would be happy to help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
power wise, a small solar panel would power a go pro. pretty sure the new go pros have no size limitation on their SD cards. why not contact gopro direct and ask them for a solution to cater to your individual needs, hell, or any other camera manufacturer. tell them exactly what you need. could also with the same token of the laser indicator rig a short burst of the finish line camera to start a high speed recording about 100 feet from the finish so it automates it. limits the battery and space consumption.

a small generator might be the other alternative for the power out there. a little 1000 watt inverter could run all of the equipment down there and then some and it would take next to nothing in fuel to run it all day long. just trying to help as it seems you are working to make it better and are open to suggestions and constructive criticism. I have not been to one but would like to in the future. if you need some pro sound PA / music support I would be happy to help.
You live North of Dallas and haven't come to the event yet? Come on out this Spring. We are good to go with audio now. Thanks!

·
IRS > YOU
6,936 Posts
Glad Frank pulled that one out.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that smoke at the end of the run was a clutch not being happy, not hazing the tires at 180mph.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts