Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my hard top on, it rattles...let me explain. it sits on th ecar just fine and what is rattling is the rear fastening pins...there is a bit of vertical play with the pins and when the car bounces, the fastening pins "hit" the horizontal bar that the pins lock on to and it "knocks"...any suggestions? Anyone else hasve this problems...My eibachs don't help because the ride is rougher.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Makaha, these hard tops are pathetic at best. I had to get the dealer to replace my clips that hook into the sport bar a few months ago. They are adjustable, so if you want you can shorten the length which should bridge the gap and keep the top from bouncing.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jdawg, thanks, I'll take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just can't give up the convertible, though, you know? I've considered hard going to a gts...have you considered a gts?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Makaha said:
I just can't give up the convertible, though, you know? I've considered hard going to a gts...have you considered a gts?

everyday......I think once I get this wedding thing behind me and IF I can get CB to stop buying very damn horse she sees, then I will be on the lookout for a mint 98 or 99.

oh and I know what you mean, the RT is a must down here. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jdawg, what tool do you use to adjust these clips? how in the hell are they adjusted?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reesto,

I think, ( yeah, that's dangerous) that it actually needs to be adjusted because it is tightly sealed and no hard materials to hard materials are contacting...it's just that it bounces on the bar and the clips "knock" because of it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have my own fix for this exact same problem. I am a noise freak, every little sqeek drives me nuts and this has been an on going battle with my RT since new.

Dont bother with the dealer they cant fix it, been there done that.

I use weather striping 3/8th's thick, wrap it around the straight part of the rear clamps the long way, then just fold it around the clamp. Now get some electical tape and wrap it around the foam strips and make it nice and tight.

The noise you are hearing is the clamps latching and unlatching, this makes the process silent.

If you were close by I could help and show you, unfortunatly you are not. I have had many other little fixes for this over the years but this one seems to work best. You will need to redo the fix every so often when it starts to fall appart but its easy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rwhp, I will try that. Did you have that noise as well...are we talking about the same noise? It's definitely coming from the clamps, whether they are opening and shutting and causing the noise, I don't know, but it's the clamps b/c when I drive and put my hand on the clamp, it hits and it knocks....YES CREEKY NOISES DRIVE ME F'N NUTS.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've considered it...question is...is it worth the cash and the better question is....how bad do I want it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
THe back hold downs have little set screws that can be loosened and the hooks can be adjusted up shortening the distance that it sticks down and when locked down doesn't rattle "as much"
C

·
Registered
694 Posts
Makaha said:
rwhp, I will try that. Did you have that noise as well...are we talking about the same noise? It's definitely coming from the clamps, whether they are opening and shutting and causing the noise, I don't know, but it's the clamps b/c when I drive and put my hand on the clamp, it hits and it knocks....YES CREEKY NOISES DRIVE ME F'N NUTS.
Yes I had the identical noise, and it drove me nuts. On slightly bumpy roads it would sound like a woodpecker going to town on my roof.

I became the master of adjusting the rear clams even bought special tools for it, at the end it was this fix that really made a big difference.

PS. When you apply the foam stripps make sure the tip is tight, makes installation of the top much easier and keeps the foam from being pushed back.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about just taping the clamp arms with electrical tape and taping the metal sport bar it clamps on to? Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
The "arms" are adjustable, by loosening the screw that holds them into place and moving it to reduce the play in mechanism while on the car.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't tell what kind of tool is necessary to adjust it. Anybody done it themselves?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No more rattling at all...quiet, quiet quiet...I didn't adjust the screws...I just did something similar to the weather strip trick. works like a charm

rwhp, thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts