Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin to upgrade the subwoofer on my RT-10. I bought a JL Audio 6" which fits great, but the damn magnet is so big, it wont sit properly in the old subwoofer hole.

On the RT-10, if you take the subwoofer out, there is like a resin/fiberglass wall that is on a 45 degree angle from top to bottom. This wall is in the way of the upper half of the speaker magnet. For now I have the speaker reversed/blowing into the hole with the magnet sticking out.

Suggestions on whats in this wall? Can I just cut it somehow someway...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,357 Posts
I have the JL 6" sub in my car. That whole section comes out, one big piece with the glovebox and everything. We pulled it out and glassed in the box (it's not remotely rigid enough or airtight enough to be useful without doing this) and relocated the alarm keyswitch (to the corner of the glovebox instead of the center), and the sub fits in there just fine now (in the correct orientation).

Sorry, I don't have pictures of it.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,357 Posts
And by the way, you still won't get almost any bass out of it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
McGuireV10 said:
And by the way, you still won't get almost any bass out of it.
/images/graemlins/down damn was afraid of that. Well hell thanks for saving me the trouble.

On to plan b... building an enclosure and putting it in the foot well in front of passenger I guess. Putting it in the trunk would prolly mean vibration central.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,357 Posts
Putting it in the trunk won't help at all -- there is no connection between the cabin and the trunk, unlike most vehicles. You'll literally not hear it (or almost not hear it, depending on how big your subs are -- you definitely wouldn't hear that six incher).

Hopefully Gerald will chime in (or you might want to PM him). He had a design for a footwell box that apparently wasn't too bad in terms of how much space it required. I haven't seen or heard it, but he described it to me.

I should say that you won't get any bass out of the JL 6 in the center section with the car running, or while driving. It actually sounds pretty good when the car isn't running. The Viper just isn't a good platform for car audio. :shrug:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea unless you have the GTS I guess.

Cool I'll see what Gerald says. The JL came with enclosure specs that seem like they will fit ok. I'm not lookin to bass out the ricer next to me, I can just hit the gas if I want that.

Just need for the sound to be less tinny then it is now.
 

· Sexist
Joined
·
45,234 Posts
I have the same prob. Magnet too big. I was going to take some blueprints to a machinist and have them build a trim ring that brings the speaker out about 1/2 inch or so. Paint it the same as the interior and I don't think it will look too bad. Whatdya think?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
I have the same prob. Magnet too big. I was going to take some blueprints to a machinist and have them build a trim ring that brings the speaker out about 1/2 inch or so. Paint it the same as the interior and I don't think it will look too bad. Whatdya think?
I dunno, McGuire said even w/ the plexiglas box it sounded like crap, I don't know if its worth the trouble.

I do know for a fact the space in front of the passenger is huge. If you build a small box for a 6 - 8" sub and stuff it up there and carpet in front, you'll never know its there, the pass wont be cramped, and you'll have a real box that should have some sound.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Well let me tell you from experience. I ripped out my entire interior running the rca cables on one side of the car and the speaker wires on the other. Had to pull out the wheel well splash guards and all....real pain in the ass! No way you can really do this without making the entire top back peice out of glass. I put a 600 watt amp with a 10"sub in a box enclosure and it hit really nice after I installed it. I closed the trunk to drive away and man you couldn't belive how pissed I was! All that work for nothin! So my last 2 choices are this. Like you chuck I'm not trying to thump out the ricer next to me. I just like good clean hitting bass. Well the local custom audio shop near me suggest one of 2 things. Either hook up bass shakers under the seat which in my opinion are pretty awesome. They hook up to the frame of the seat and when the bass hits in a song these shakers shake the seat of the car which really feels real but is actually illusional bass. He had some on display and it was pretty neat. Or lose the spare and hook up a big 15"sub and pump it with a 1200w amp. He said that there is no doubt that you would feel it. But then again it will just have the same effect the bass shakers would have. I think I'm leaning for the bass shakers which are pretty inexpensive when compared to losing the spare and glassing the trunk and spending all that money on components that I would rather put into the powertrain. Best of luck!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,357 Posts
GoddFadda said:
I dunno, McGuire said even w/ the plexiglas box it sounded like crap, I don't know if its worth the trouble.
Actually when I said "glass" I meant fiberglass. We used the existing paperboard shape (or whatever the heck it's made out of) as the form, and just layered a bunch of fiberglass on it to make it rigid and airtight.

If you're at all familiar with fiberglass it should only take you a few hours at the most (plus curing time overnight or whatever).
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,357 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
I have the same prob. Magnet too big. I was going to take some blueprints to a machinist and have them build a trim ring that brings the speaker out about 1/2 inch or so. Paint it the same as the interior and I don't think it will look too bad. Whatdya think?
Yours has the setup with two speakers in the center, doesn't it?
I forget what year they started that one speaker / center glovebox thing...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,128 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
Putting it in the trunk won't help at all -- there is no connection between the cabin and the trunk, unlike most vehicles.
When I took my RT/10 apart to install the stereo, I found that there were indeed connections between the trunk and the cabin. How much bass gets through, I don't know, but I know that there is a connection.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
When I took my RT/10 apart to install the stereo, I found that there were indeed connections between the trunk and the cabin
Not much though. Only hole I found was behind driver and I even had to make that hole bigger. Got a hole saw and made a 1" hole on pass side and stuck the wires in conduit and ran them under splash shield. Drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the trunk on that side as well to feed it in and filled all gaps with that home stuff insulating foam. Came out nice. I still vote for the bass shakers.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,488 Posts
GoddFadda said:
McGuireV10 said:
And by the way, you still won't get almost any bass out of it.
/images/graemlins/down damn was afraid of that. Well hell thanks for saving me the trouble.

On to plan b... building an enclosure and putting it in the foot well in front of passenger I guess. Putting it in the trunk would prolly mean vibration central.
You can get enough air space with a diamond audio 8" like I have done. I chose to keep my glove box, but with the g box, there exists ample air space to build an enclosed fiber glass resin box for tight and low end out of an 8. If you would like I could give you the number to my audio shop who has thorough working knowledge of the RT console...just pm me qnd let me know. :nod:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,697 Posts
Have a stereo shop build a box in the passenger footwell. It will take up minimal room. Have them build the box wedge shaped or shaped to fit ergonomically in that area. There are plenty of 8" or 10" subwoofers that require little airspace. No big , huge, powerful amp is necessary. It's not the power, it's the quality and install. You will NOT get any bass out of the center of the viper no matter how you do it. You WILL get excellent bass out of the passenger footwell. Also with the top off, no matter WHAT You do you will not get any safisfactory bass. With the top on (bass is non directional - need to bounce off surfaces and then get to your ears to sound, ....bassy) a passenger foot mounted sub box will sound very good.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's late and it's been one of the worst nights I can remember..


Gerald
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
I have a sweet 10" in the passenger side footwell... had it custom made a few years ago. It rocks, but tall people end up riding with their knees in their faces. Tall being over 6'2".

Now the best part is that [before was married] this kept me dating women under 5'6"... which is my type anyway.

/images/graemlins/smiles

BTW - I'm pulling my speaker out this weekend to put the roll bar in. I may not put this set-up back in... so if you are interested in it, we should chat.

JD
 

· Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
7,234 Posts
Edretti said:
Like you chuck I'm not trying to thump out the ricer next to me. I just like good clean hitting bass.

these shakers shake the seat of the car which really feels real but is actually illusional bass.
Is this a joke? /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Have you guys ever considered listening to the music of the engine? Just a thought. :idea:
 

· Sexist
Joined
·
45,234 Posts
Believe me City, the stereo is the least of my concerns. But with all the miles I put on my RT/10 even I need to hear a little something different than the gentle rumble of the 488. Particularly since I blew out the system listening to Waterloo I need to get a replacement.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gerald said:
Have a stereo shop build a box in the passenger footwell. It will take up minimal room. Have them build the box wedge shaped or shaped to fit ergonomically in that area. There are plenty of 8" or 10" subwoofers that require little airspace. No big , huge, powerful amp is necessary. It's not the power, it's the quality and install. You will NOT get any bass out of the center of the viper no matter how you do it. You WILL get excellent bass out of the passenger footwell. Also with the top off, no matter WHAT You do you will not get any safisfactory bass. With the top on (bass is non directional - need to bounce off surfaces and then get to your ears to sound, ....bassy) a passenger foot mounted sub box will sound very good.
This is exactly what I was planning. As for vibration, the speaker in the center console is already vibrating the shit out of everything in my glove box, but the sound is almost nil...

Roof off is fine, Radio isn't much of a factor then.

I was just going to take this JL 6" and build a box around it, the speaker specs sound like the designed box will fit perfectly in that footwell. Too much power is a bad idea, I've had loud cars in the past, every screw/panel comes loose. Not good for the car.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top