Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. Assume this is a perfect world and all variables are equal. We have a 430/480 rwhp/rwtq RT and GTS. Same track (1/4 mile), same driver, same launch. Again everything equal.

How much quicker (et) and faster (mph) will the GTS be. I was thinking the aerodynamics would not make much of a difference at 120, but it must. I know V10 MOJO can run 11.6's at 119 and I can run 11.7's at 118, but the GTS' I see are running 119-121 and still in the 12's.

I am using drag radials, but even with street tires my best was 12.2 at 115. Just curious why my MPH seems to be low. I am thrilled with my times, but just curious why my MPH seems to be low. Is it all related to drag?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Dawg, its cause theyre spining the shit outta their tires and you and I are damn good drivers, /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
all seriousness. not a damn bit of difference in 1/4 mile unless we're talikn high (not so likely viper) speeds and times of 8's, 9's and 150 traps and the like. where we're at its all driver and the cars are the same.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
V10 MOJO said:
all seriousness. not a damn bit of difference in 1/4 mile unless we're talikn high (not so likely viper) speeds and times of 8's, 9's and 150 traps and the like. where we're at its all driver and the cars are the same.

Most likely the case. MOJO, do you think our MPH is low for our cars? I am pleased with my et's and I guess as long as I keep putting down the times consistently then that is all that matters. However, I have always believed MPH is directly related to horsepower and if an RT and a GTS has the same then I feel the GTS definetly would have an advantage based on the drag of the RT.

I remember Treynor telling me it took 80 more HP for an RT to reach 150 than a GTS in the same time frame. I am not going 150 in the 1/4 (not yet /images/graemlins/laughing.gif), but just curious what others thought the difference would be.

ps - I agree, we are some damn good drivers. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
dawg, i think our HP is just fine. prior to the T&Ds i dynoed at 440.9 rwhp and 487 tq (and the only other mods i have are exhaust, tubes and filters). that was a hot engine too. at norwalk i ran 11.63 and 11.66 both at 120 and 121mph. so its gotta be operating temp ruining the trap speed on occasion. plus, dont forget, the staging and launch say much for what a trap speed will be, deeper stage-lower trap-higher ET, and vise versa for shallow stage. (i may have it ass backwards but you get the point). shift points are yet another key factor for trap vs et. all in all id say youre fine, just keep winning and hey, if it still is bothering you in a month or so of ongoing contemplation; slap a heads/cam/NOS pkg onto the blue beauty and you wont be worrying about your mph any longer /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

BTW how far from panama city beach are ya, Im bringing my dogs down for a swin in the gulf for a week, stop on by

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
mojo,
hook up with snakehydes..we're all packed in together...snakehydes is in panama city and I"m in gulfport (2hrs east) and jdawg is 2 hrs north of me...not bad.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heads/cam sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will luck up and win them in November. It's either that or a charger of some sort. I was really impressed with how good Paolo's Heffner car ran at the track.

As makaha said about 4 hours from Panama City. Shoot me a pm as to when you will be around and we will try to get together.

John

·
Premium Member
19,304 Posts
Hey J DAWG,
races are on in Montgomery on the 25th of Oct.. You still in(and of course to anybody else that would like to come beat up on mustangs/LS1s/corvettes.

Mike

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
96 R/T 10 said:
Hey J DAWG,
races are on in Montgomery on the 25th of Oct.. You still in(and of course to anybody else that would like to come beat up on mustangs/LS1s/corvettes.

Mike

As long as the weather cooperates I will be there.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
mORE INFO ON THIS RACE???

I HAVE A OFFICE IN MONTGOMERY!

MIGHT HAVE TO STOP BY!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David, all I know is that it is a few Vipers, lots of vettes, and other fun cars to beat up on Oct. 25th in Montgomery. Would probably be a nice tuneup for the December event.

Mike(96 RT/10) will know more.

·
Premium Member
19,304 Posts
Dr Roof said:
mORE INFO ON THIS RACE???

I HAVE A OFFICE IN MONTGOMERY!

MIGHT HAVE TO STOP BY!
Dr Roof! Would love to have you come! The race is at MMP(Montgomery, AL) on the 25th and is a Stangnet/LS1 shootout. Gates open at 10 AM and races start an hour later. They run through 6 PM. Last time I went I ran 14 or 15 times. First hour or two are the best chance to get a lot of runs in, but after that(due to the amount of cars) runs are far and few between. Here is the website: http://www.mmpdragracing.com/ Come on by!

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts