Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading other posts about speakers, I ordered a pair of the Kicker 525s - only when I went to put them in, they were a bit on the small side. I spent over an hour drilling four holes to get the speakers installed - in fact, I took pics and planned a write-up on the whole thing.

Well, the sound was better, but the fact the speakers were a bit smaller bothered me, so I went to the audio store where they said the front doors take 6.5s. I purchased a pair of Pioneer 6.5" with the understanding if they didn't fit I could take them back. (I had to pick a pair of 3-ways to avoid getting a pair that was too deep or had a tweaker set to high).

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

First, the Pioneer 6.5's (Pioneer 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cone, about $80) fit perfectly, using the same three holes as the stock speaker grill. I did add a small rubber spacer to avoid any noise problems, but the whole swap took 10 minutes! No drilling, no nothing - stock speaker grills and a much deeper 6.5" sound.

So, if you're looking for a great set of speakers - go for the Pionner 6.5" and you won't be disappointed - in fact, you'll be amazed. I've turned off my center speaker until my mid basses show up - it just can't keep up with the new ones.

Can't wait for the Kicker mid-basses to show up (only need one, of course).

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you did! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

The 525s were only about 1/4" smaller in diameter and didn't have three holes (four), which required the drilling.

·
Registered
470 Posts
packetjunkie said:
Can't wait for the Kicker mid-basses to show up (only need one, of course).
What model are the mid-basses? You mean you'll put this in the center console right?

I'm gonna be getting a box done but I'm a lazy ass and would just like to fill the center hole up with something decent for now.

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kicker SSMB6 6.5" midbass free air speakers. These are new and I picked them up on eBay for $119. I'm using one and sending the other to -RUNNR. I'll let you know what I think.

I was checking out some boxes, too; but have to clear out the back to see what kind of space might be usable. The heavy bass isn't as important to me as it used to be (ruined my hearing with a competition system years back), so I doubt I'll go that route (I prefer listening to the car anyways).

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You won't be disappointed - when you take out the stock speakers you'll see a big CHRYSLER stamp on the back and just how crappy they are - paper, no less!

·
Registered
470 Posts
BTW, I went with the Boston Acoustics, also work great in the doors. The bass response was so good I couldn't even hear my middle speaker any more... I'm running them through a 300W Alpine Amp.

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got them in today; will install later this week.

Edit: I went with the Pioneers after looking into several brands at this audio store because I wasn't sure about the spacing and looked for a brand that was "shallow" and would hopefully set right in. I considered some of the higher end speakers, but wasn't sure about the sizing and depth issues and the dealer said the speakers would need an external amp to run them properly. I'd love to hear some MB Quartz or BA, but I didn't want to go to the effort of installing another amp.

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, the installation of the Kicker SSMB6 went fine - about 10 minutes. There are four screws to the mid-console speaker. First the wire mesh comes off, then the four screws which remove a ring. The speaker then pops out. Cut the wires, remove the speaker and then attach the wires to the new Kicker.

The Kicker has a press button connection adaptor, so you only need to strip a small lead off the tips. The ring around the Kicker also has plenty of holes, so you can line up the speaker with the old holes easily.

The adaptor doesn't fit perfectly, its a little higher than it was; so you'll need the screws from the Kicker box to make the original ring set into place. Once you've done that, then you can insert the mesh grill.

Like I said, the whole process took about 10 minutes and involved a flat head screwdriver (to remove mesh), a phillips head (to remove and replace mounting screws) and a wire cutter.

The original door speakers look like this:

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/fun/sidedoor.jpg[/image]

The new speakers in place look like:

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/fun/sidedoornew.jpg[/image]

The new center console speaker looks like:

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/fun/midconsole.jpg[/image]

With the new mid console the sound is 10X better than the stock paper speakers. I do notice a little rattle with some heavy bass, so will try to hunt it down with some dynomat.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
MP...Did you put a passive low pass x-over on the center console speaker, or is it still running full range?

And are those scratches on your door sills??? /images/graemlins/mad

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not put a x-over on the speaker; but am thinking of adding one. Some of the music I listen to (techno) is trying to send too much bass to this speaker.

Sorry, SB, didn't clean up after I did the install before taking the pics.

·
Registered
470 Posts
packetjunkie said:
I did not put a x-over on the speaker; but am thinking of adding one. Some of the music I listen to (techno) is trying to send too much bass to this speaker.

Sorry, SB, didn't clean up after I did the install before taking the pics.
Thanks for the post. I have a x-over built into my Alpine amp, and with my current Sub, it cuts too much sound from it. Since the RT's only have 3 speakers, ya pretty much need all of the speakers working full time (full range). The crossover didn't help with my rattling at all, in fact it made it worse because I had to turn the volume up higher...

Anyway, sounds like the Kickers are a go. My main concern was magnet clearance, but looks like that wasn't a prob for you. :thumb:

Oh.. and as retarded as it sounds, until you dynamat, open the glove box when banging out the big bass... it will reduce rattling.

·
Enlightened
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, thats good to know. I'm going to tinker a little more with it; but putting the full range speaker in the bottom of the front doors really made a difference. I used to have a huge competition system in a Thunderbird SC and just don't want to start down that path again; I was avoiding adding an amp.

·
Registered
470 Posts
FYI got my speaks installed. Thanks PJ for great advice, it went smoothly as hell. That Kicker still can't keep up with my Boston Acoustics in the doors, but those were $300 speakers so I can't expect the same.

One other thing, I mentioned earlier that x-over didn't sound good with my sub in the rear. With this Kicker however, the x-over sounds pretty damn good. I have very little sound coming from the rear, mostly just lows and filler sound. It works perfect (msg me if you need the p/ns of the stuff I bought).

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/2041S4200004-med.jpg[/image][image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/2041S4200003-med.jpg[/image][image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/2041S4200002-med.jpg[/image][image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/2041S4200001-med.jpg[/image]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts