Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to viper ownership (several mos with a '97 GTS whose only mods are tubes and filters, headers and cat-back). I have taken it to the local track (road course) two weekends now (DE) and love driving it but I know I can make it better for this purpose. I'm familiar with this track and know the proper lines, etc. (which is not to say that I'm very good at it). No problems catching and passing people on straights but would like to hold corners better (I had a ZO6 up my ass last weekend and it felt like a f*****g hemorrhoid...no offense intended, I owned one of them too). I was running on pilot sports, they were practically new. No doubt I will change the shifter to a B&M (missed a couple shifts) and plan to get the larger baffled pan and upgrade the fan and flywheel but my real question is what do I need to do to make the car hold the corners better (besides improve my driving skill)? Oh yeah, the brakes need an upgrade too. After my first track experience boiled the brake fluid several times, I switched to Motul and added porsche-like air baffles and wind deflectors and that problem resolved. There still needs to be more brake though (I've purchased brakeman 3 pads and plan to put them on but will probably need to change rotors and ?calipers? I guess. What do I need to do to the suspension? Does the wing/front diffuser help or just a poser mod really? I would like to lower the car but I still drive the car on the street. What should the next set of tires be (I read thread re:hoosiers); what about kumhos? I'm not opposed to two sets of wheels/tires, what should the track set be? Sorry for the long post. If you're still awake after reading this, any suggestions would be appreciated; this is the track forum, right?
Ray

·
Registered
757 Posts
Change the street alignment from the factory settings to an aggressive street/track alignment. Tire wear will suffer on the street though. I would get this done after any lowering of the car that you might do so you do not have to pay for it twice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Purner rims are highly regarded for track (and even regular) use. Very light weight and strong. Talk to John about current sizes for track use. Seems like 18x12 and 18x13 are popular right now. I guess larger brakes demand 18's in front. 17's go on Ebay and classifieds on a regualr basis.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
I could answer this one to a T if you were talking about a 4th gen Camaro as that is what I've been prepping for my road race car. The Viper however, won't be seeing the track any time soon. I just don't have the funds needed to keep after a track car with the price tags that come along with Viper products. Also, it would break my heart to track my '96 given it condition. I'd have to get another more "weathered" one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know your car Matt but I hear what you're saying. It looks like an expensive proposition. I guess my thinking here is that I got a good deal on this used '97 GTS (it has just 8,000 mi.) and can use the money "saved" for the mods. Of course, if I wreck the car I be upset to say the least.

·
Whatever
801 Posts
I would get brake ducting for your front rotors. Very cheap to do. Although it is rarely discussed on any of the Viper boards, you can adjust you stock shocks. I also have a 97 GTS that sees the track about 3-4 days per month. At the cost of a stiffer ride on the street you can have a better handling car on the track. After adjusting the shocks I could notice a differnce. But the best modification you can do is get as much seat time as possible. Learn to know how your car will behave on street tires before you jump to slicks. Seat time, seat time, seat time, is the fastest way to getting fast on the track. Some of the fastest Viper Days drivers in the "Challenge Series" have Vipers with little mods. It's good to see another Viper on the track. Good luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Redsled,
I put on the porsche-like cooling ducts (the plastic pieces that attach to the lower control arm) as well as the air deflectors that attach to the front of the wheel opening; I don't think either of these did as much good as switching to Motul.
One area where I'm deficient is braking. I've read many posts on this subject and still don't know what to do with them. I like the brakeman 3 pads for track (still have stock calipers and rotors). I don't care about looks...I WANT TO STOP! I guess I'll have to keep researching /images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Whatever
801 Posts
Forget about the Porsche deflectors! NO good. You need to run naca ducts with 3-4 inch duct tubing from the underneath of the front fascia to the center of your front rotors. Get rid of the Motul 600. I ran the Motul and boiled the fluid once I was harder on the brakes. (Not to say that it is bad, but I think the 2 I mentioned are better) Get the Castrol SRF or some NEO Synthetic. Brakeman 3's are good but they will not last long on the track unless you have good brake ducting. Remember a more agressive pad will take longer to heat up and will not last as long. Not only will you experience less frequent brake fade but your pads and rotors will last 3x's as long. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
As a newbie, the porsche deflectors and motul should be fine. Once you get faster, Jonathan is right in that ducts are a must. I'm about to throw away the deflectors and run two sets of ducts, plus possibly open up the top of the wheel wells so the hood ducts can pull some of the heat out. I've never had a problem with motul though. Castrol srf is certainly great stuff, but more pricey.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you guys talking about something like the cone cooling ducts? I've thought about it but not looking forward to getting the fascia back on, from what I've read. I wish there was an easier way but I guess the best way is seldom the easiest.
BTW, what do you guys recommend re: calipers and rotors? (I'm planning to purchase 18" Purner wheels).

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Yeah, the cone's cooling kit is a good example. You can do it yourself for less though of course.

If you're doing brakes, StopTech 4 wheel kit is the way to go. Purner is the way to go for wheels. He'll know all the offsets and widths, etc. You want to be able to run like 305-315 in front with the usual 335-345 in back.

If you're new to the track though, get used to your car as it is first, then start adding x-mas presents to it. Its already a pretty potent track machine in stock trim.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Then what would you break with in the front?

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Just cool down there tiger. You want to improve your driving first, and your car second. Imagine how you would feel heading out to the track with your newly super-prepped road racing Viper machine and get walked all over by a Neon wearing slicks.

You might be laughing, but I've seen it happen. Go to a ViperDays. You'll see some of the quick drivers in Stock lay the wood to the wallet racers in Unlimited.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The only thing the porsche deflectors are good for is cutting the grass and directing it into the hot rotor brake caliper area. Twice I've set my fronts rim areas on fire. Nothing like hitting hot pit row and have the chief steward send you back out before your car goes up in flames. I never get to BS the steward with "the car didn't run out of talent I did!"

·
Sexist
44,366 Posts
Hoosier Daddy said:
The only thing the porsche deflectors are good for is cutting the grass and directing it into the hot rotor brake caliper area.
Agreed. I guess if you got them for $5 they might be worth that much. For $7 you can route an air inlet hose directly to the center of the rotor.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
There is no Mopar brake cooling system. Its on the books but it was never produced afaik - at least if this is the one that was designed around the ACRs and their lack of fog lamps.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts