Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
What do you want to accomplish with your road racing?

Do you want to compete? (If so, i wouldn't do it with a Viper)

Are you already a proficient roadracer and want to do it in a Viper? (If so, buy a used one that is already sorted and have at it)

If you just want to do some HPDEs and ViperDays, a street Viper is all you need. If you want to compete, a true track Viper (which is not streetable btw) costs a lot more than just the price of the car. What series will you race in? Who will mechanically maintain your car? Trailer? Tires? Gearboxes? Clutches? Brakes? The list goes on and on and on.

To put things in perspective, just a full weekend at ViperDays prolly ends up costing me anywhere from $1k-$2K or so - and I just have a street Viper, drive to/from the event, and run plain Michelin pilot street tires. AND, its not even racing, its just time trialing.

Racing ain't cheap - but it is gd fun.

If I had the money/time, I would do race a season of Spec Miata. You can buy a ready-to-go car for $15k and a full season of racing it costs around $25k. Replacement body panels are cheap, motors are cheap, etc. etc. The fields are big, with 25+ cars around here no problem, and the cars are close and require some skill to ring out a low time.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Look and see what classes field the most cars at those tracks. SRF is another choice which often sees a lot of competition.

The good thing in my mind with a used built racecar is you could race a full season, and then sell the car for nearly what you bought it for and move onto another division with some experience under your belt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.