Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just sold my GTS, I am looking into what I am going to do next. I have been getting an itch to road race. I have seen a number of preped cars, but not looked at them in detail.

I have seen a few racecars going for mid $40k and was curious to the extent they are changed. I realize that the interior is yanked, A/C, brakes changed, wheels/tires, exhaust, rollbar, etc.

I am trying to figure out if I want a full blown racecar or something I can do the street and wheel to wheel.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Pros and cons both ways. If you get the race car then you have to invest in trailer, extra parts, extra wheels, the cars not as reliable, so you better be able to do alot of the work yourself. The reward being a much more fun ride on the track. (also you better not be a poser when you drive up with a race car /images/graemlins/laughing.gif)

The advantage of the street car is, you can drive to the track and drive home from the track (hopefully).

You really need to look long and hard at exactly what you want from the car. If its strickly going to be a track car, then get the race prepped, if you also want to cruise the strip then get the street car. You can't go wrong either way.

Brad

ps like Lethalgts said, the race viper in the classifieds looks like a great deal.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that car and that is what got me thinking. I also know that I would want to drive it on the street sometimes, so that is why I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I already have the trailer, truck, etc. and I did most of the work on my last one.

There is an ex-speedvision viper forsale in New Orleans for about $45k. I was thinking of it as well. Half the fun for me having a Viper is getting to toy with people on the street. Maybe I can throw some lights and a plate on it and it will be "street legal"

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
What do you want to accomplish with your road racing?

Do you want to compete? (If so, i wouldn't do it with a Viper)

Are you already a proficient roadracer and want to do it in a Viper? (If so, buy a used one that is already sorted and have at it)

If you just want to do some HPDEs and ViperDays, a street Viper is all you need. If you want to compete, a true track Viper (which is not streetable btw) costs a lot more than just the price of the car. What series will you race in? Who will mechanically maintain your car? Trailer? Tires? Gearboxes? Clutches? Brakes? The list goes on and on and on.

To put things in perspective, just a full weekend at ViperDays prolly ends up costing me anywhere from $1k-$2K or so - and I just have a street Viper, drive to/from the event, and run plain Michelin pilot street tires. AND, its not even racing, its just time trialing.

Racing ain't cheap - but it is gd fun.

If I had the money/time, I would do race a season of Spec Miata. You can buy a ready-to-go car for $15k and a full season of racing it costs around $25k. Replacement body panels are cheap, motors are cheap, etc. etc. The fields are big, with 25+ cars around here no problem, and the cars are close and require some skill to ring out a low time.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about the spec Miata as well, mainly because of the price. I have not yet roadraced in a competive situation, but I have spent a lot of time on various tracks with different cars.

I am looking more for running in the local events, Texas World Speedway and No Problem raceway. Who knows where I will go after doing that.

As for doing the work on the car, I will do all that. I think there are cheaper ways to run then Viper days. It sounds fun though.

Like I said, I am trying to figure out what I want to do.

I have a feeling it is not "if" I tear up a car, it is "when". That is the only reason I wouldn't run my old GTS. The repairs would have been extreme.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Look and see what classes field the most cars at those tracks. SRF is another choice which often sees a lot of competition.

The good thing in my mind with a used built racecar is you could race a full season, and then sell the car for nearly what you bought it for and move onto another division with some experience under your belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts