Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior owner put new Micheline tires on the rear of the 94' before I bought the car so I don't have warranty. Any chance I can just pull the nail out and hope for the best. Wanted a Viper to drive so I guess you get normal driving issues like any other car. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
DEETOO
1,629 Posts
Looks too close to edge to patch, and at least around here they won’t plug. I had a nail in a tire like that for almost 3 years had to top it off with air every 2 months or so. YMMV.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't see any reason why it can't be patched. I've had dozens like that in my DD's in that location and never once had an issue getting it done. If you plan to track or spirit drive, just replace it. If not, I see no reason why you can't get it patched. If they wont do it just take the nail out and plug it yourself to see if it will hold air or not.

Word of caution. Take the wheel off the car and take it to the tire shop by itself. A LOT of tire shops are now trying this tactic to get more sales. "Sorry, we can't plug it and we can't put it back on the car like that due to safety concerns. You have to buy a new tire or use a spare."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Discount tire will not touch it. I have a local independent tire shop near by that I have had tire patches done before, just not on something this nice. Also a language barrier will need to be crossed. I'm guessing a $20 bill will make the English language more understanding. I certainly don't track the car and pretty much drive like an old man.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
That is in the tread/belt area and 100% fixable tire. It's shold be plugged, the patched inside the casing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For normal street driving, you will be fine. Besides, the puncture is not on the sidewall.

I had the same problem with one of my tires. I initially plugged it using the kit I got from 4wheelonline. After a few days, I went to a tire shop to have it patched.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just plug it yourself, it takes like 30 seconds. Judging by the wear on the tire you don't drive the car hard so it should be fine. Even at the limit you probably wouldn't notice it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today after a hand wash and test run from my plugs and wire change, this happened. Not the tire with the nail but the other one. Found out it's the valve stem. Thank God I was parked in the driveway. Valve stem cheaper than new tire...

Attachments

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you are not going to track your car, I would simply take it to a trusted tire store. If they will plug it, then would go that route. If not, order a replacement tire from them. Be sure to check the born on date for the new tire. Fresher is better.

I like the newer plugs that not only seal the hole, but have an adhesive patch on the inside as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's an old tire, maybe you should replace it. I am sure that you can find a set that suits your budget and this vehicle over the internet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts