Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until I decide what to do with the stock exhaust system, can I just remove the rear muffler? Pro's or con's. How does it sound afterwards. I did a search, but did not find any specifics. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The SnakeOyl rear delete sounds a lot better than stock. Good alternative until you want to do a complete exhaust.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
FlyBryViper said:
Until I decide what to do with the stock exhaust system, can I just remove the rear muffler? Pro's or con's. How does it sound afterwards. I did a search, but did not find any specifics. Thanks.

Do it...It's cheap and effective...you'll love it, and it will get you by until you decide on a system...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Snake Bitten, exactly the advice I wanted to hear. I put her on the lift this morning, had my production mgr. looking at some possibilities. Glad to know I was'nt about to make a mistake.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Do anything to get rid of that rear muffler............big heavy...HP robbing.....noise sucking piece of shit!

You can't go wrong deleting it!

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Make the muff shop pull the rear sub assembly to cut out the stocker muffler...and put some cool tips on while you are at it...

·
Registered
23,347 Posts
I bought the random tech rear sub assy. muffler delete and LOVE it.....sounds great.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hisserman said:
Is there a problem with drone on the Snake Oyl muffler delete? Should a cross pipe or x pipe be added?

opinions vary, but I still had some drone with a muffler delete and an "x" pipe on my RT. It is so far back in the system it doesn't make much difference. My drone occure around 2500 rpm's most likey due to the 2.5 tubing.

For a crossover to be really effective it would have to be just aft the headers which ain't gonna happen on a Viper.

Do the delete, it sounds great.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just go to a Muffler shop and have them cut out the muffler and install straight pipes. Shouldn't run you over $130.

I did this and I am completely happy with it. There is some drone, but nothing more than the stock muffler. I think it sounds better than the Corsa Exhaust.

Mike

·
Registered
23,347 Posts
Snake Bitten, probably true, but it looks sweet and its easier for me that way. the muffler guy around here arent that good to begin with and they sure as hell wont work for those kinda prices.

there is a drone with the x-pipe but not too bad.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Mine has the muffler delete package and worst drone is around 1500-1700 RPM, which I only really experience if I use 6th gear at like 55-60. Love the WOT sound!

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
plumcrazy said:
Snake Bitten, probably true, but it looks sweet and its easier for me that way. the muffler guy around here arent that good to begin with and they sure as hell wont work for those kinda prices.

there is a drone with the x-pipe but not too bad.

Yeah, I was just fuckin with you...I am sure it looks great, and as long as you are happy with it...then "F" everyone else...

I was simply pointing out how cheap it is to remove the rear muffs...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again guys, you have provided real world experience and opinions. For that I Thank You.
Had my Production Mgr. bend-up some nice 2.5" S.S. tubing into some really nice 4" polished S.S. tubing for tips. Will weld a tab between the two pipes for stability. Could add an X, or crossover, but I don't think it will do much that far from the collectors. Will install in the morning.

·
Registered
23,347 Posts
pics......?

snake bitten, no problem

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will do on the pics. Bummer...was just informed my best S.S. welder is on vacation all next week. If I wanted sloppy stainless welds I would do it myself. Damn, another week of stock exhaust. What the hell am I saying...I'm only on day #2 of owning a Viper - I've got nothing to complain about.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
I waited a year before doing it. I should have done it as soon as I brought it home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts