Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Very sad to hear. I enjoyed reading Ray's posts and seemed like a great, humble guy. My condolences to his family. :(

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
RIP, brother.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Someone just posted that article in a local car group on Facebook.

A lot of guys build big, bad cars and don't drive them. Some do drive them some, but never hard. Some drive them hard on the street, but don't push the limit on the track. Some take the cars to the track, but have someone else pilot them.

Ray was none of those. I saw him out at the Mile in the bee twin-charged FGT, driving the piss out of it. I distinctly remember it because that was the first time I'd smelled race fuel. My deepest condolences to his family. Godspeed, Ray...R.I.P.

Reactions: boplaw and Biggest

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
It looks like he was flying his Hawker Sea Fury, one of the fastest piston powered planes out there. 460 mph.
British Navy plane.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Got the news last night. Utterly tragic news. My prayers for his wife and kids as well as the rest of his friends/family. He's in a better place. Rest in Peace.

·
slow vette
1,230 Posts
I haven't been on here at least a year, but I heard the news this morning as well and I wanted to give my condolences.

I Met him once at an event here in Houston. Didn't know him personally, but Ray seemed to have accomplished what most couldn't dream of in 10 life times.

He left behind a beautiful family. :(

RIP.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
This is the plane , the previous owner lost his life out of the same airstrip in another vintage military plane in 2012.
Those restored old fighters must be a challenge to fly and maintain.RIP Peak !

Attachments

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
I never met Ray, but traded some emails about roadbuilding several years ago. He was well liked and highly respected by many that I do know, and I know he was a caring father and husband.

We all feel a terrible sense of loss when these fine men and women leave us at such an early age, but God has a higher plan for these Chosen Ones.

Reactions: Biggest

·
Super Moderator
27,597 Posts
Damn. There is nothing to be said......just shocked. A page in Last Lap has been set up. While I know that death of good people is inevitable, I hate adding names to that page. Especially when it's someone like Ray.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
My condolences to Ray's family and friends. A terrible loss.

·
Super Moderator
27,597 Posts
Ray Hofman AKA PeakCompletions

Local Midland business owner Ray Hofman died in a plane crash in Breckenridge, Texas yesterday afternoon.

According to Abilene Reporter-News, the crash occurred yesterday around 4 P.M. while Hofman was on a solo training flight in a restored WWII-era fighter plane.

Hofman, President and CEO of Midland-based oilfield services company Peak Completions, was a well-known car and vintage plane collector and enthusiast.

Hofman's children attend Trinity School in Midland, which confirmed with CBS7 that "a parent had died" and would lower its flag to half-mast in memoriam.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 113 Posts