Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not everyone wants an automatic truck...and I know this may cause me to be flamed but..here it goes..I just bought a srt-10 ram yesterday after trading in my lightning...Im not nuts about it...but I see it has plenty of potential...I just have alot of gripes with it...most of all is the manuial transmission...so I want to do an auto conversion on it. I heard of the nightmare stories of the vipers being cut up to fit a 200r4 gm trans and Im not sure thats what I want to do. From what I read about the new quad cab ram srt-10 they used the diesel 48re transmission. Does anyone know anythign about this conversion or know of a reputable shop preferably in south florida who could handle this? I would think an auto conversion shouldnt be difficult, is this the same basic block mounting points etc as the v10 truck engine? If so that had an auto behind it...any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahaha yeah she actually will...but...unless you have driven and owned a lightning then got into this gargantuan...u wouldnt understand..but...I think it would make this a much more well rounded truck with an auto in it...Ive been checking around it it seems there isnt anyone who would be deemed an expert on this so I thought Id come to the message boards and see if someone could give me input...I wasnt looking to be flamed for it...we all have personal opinions and we are entitled to them...I love this truck in an odd way ...and Id like to make it better...to me...better is having it automatic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hennessey seems to be the right person I agree...I have found many positive things about his operation but also alot of negative things as well...I am not passing any judgement but it makes it a little difficult to make sense of and send my new truck half way across the country...as far as the diesel tranny holding up to the torque...wella good trany shop can beef it up pretty good im sure...Im not so concerned about that as much as I am proper fitment...Ive seen some amazing auto trannys...Ive had a few real nice ones done as well and I would know a few places to check once I have that all figured out...Im considering getting this 48re from the diesel and thats what is claimed to be in the SRT-10 Quadcab...so if that tranny not only holds the power of the srt-10 but also the extgra weight of the quadcab PLUS the towing and cargo capacity...I think ill be fine...

·
Registered
607 Posts
pesto360 you are absolutely on the right track to build a better truck than what dodge made. i would definately do the tranny swap too. also u are going to need to put smaller brakes on the truck in the rear so u can fit up a set of drag wheels and slicks for the strip. once you got those issues adressed i would either supercharge or spray nitrous to the motor. then you are going to need a roll cage for the 10 second 1/4 mile times that you are going to be making. good luck!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The 48re holds up to the cummins 600ft-lb.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i am guessin that a stall converter that stalls somewhere between 2000-2500 rpm's should be just about right. i believe the rear gear ratio in the srt-10 ram is a 4.10. does anybody know what the tranny ratios are in that 48re diesel tranny. i assume that is a 3 speed tranny with overdrive. a 1st gear ratio of like 2.75 would be ideal. 3rd gear should be 1:1

·
Registered
542 Posts
www.apsprecision.com they build 46/48RE trannies that will hold 1200hp and 1200ft/lbs, yes the iron V10 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the viper. As for shifting, a ratcheting floor shifter would be the safest approach but if thats not going to work just get a stock steering column with the stock shifter.

Oh and if you do swap it and want to unload the T-56 let me know.

Oh and aps has a 2yr unconditional racing warranty, will fix it regardless of what your doing as long as you don't neutral drop or run it out of fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
mxblue23 said:
yes the iron V10 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the viper
The Ram SRT-10 is not the old V10 Ram's iron block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all so much for your input...Im going to look into the 48re conversion. I will let everyone know step by step as we go and document every part with pictures etc...If I get an Ok Ill start ordering parts tomorrow...This will be fun...

·
Registered
542 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
mxblue23 said:
yes the iron V10 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the viper
The Ram SRT-10 is not the old V10 Ram's iron block.
no shit genius, what I was saying is that the iron V10 has the same bolt pattern as the viper motor, so the 47/48RE will bolt up to the viper motor.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys can read or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.