Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting radio / CD static at low RPMs in my car. I have stock Mopar spark plug wires with ~17k miles on them, and Champion spark plugs (Part # RC12LYC) with ~7k miles on them - thoughts? fixes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The noise could also be from the alternator, or the amp might be picking up the noise, not just the deck. It's difficult to tell what the issue is. You can buy noise filters or gound isolators that go inline on the power wire to your radio. You would have to pull the deck and cut the power wire and put the filter inline. It is not difficult and I believe the stock radio has a sticker identifying the appropriate wires.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I'm thinking about getting a new deck sometime soon, maybe I should wait to worry with it at that point... What do you mean with the alternator? Like it could be going bad? What other signs would there be of that? (I've got 57k on my 98 RT/10.)

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I had to get noise filters...works well, every once in a while (maybe once or twice since filters were placed) I get noise but nowhere like before.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
_Mark said:
Might be just the plug wires. I have Magnecors and have no static.
Interesting, KenH from the VCA site hasn't had any problem with the Magnecors either.

Here's some info from a thread I started over there a while back:

So, is the following correct and a comprehensive list of spark plug wire options?:
1. Stock Black Mopar Wires - $60, seem to work fine
2. Some sort of Blue Mopar Wires - $100, may (and did for me) cause static through the radio and CD player (insufficient resistance?)
3. Red Magnecor Wires - cost? size options? relevance of size options?
4. MSD - $75 from Summit Racing, size options? - some have experienced static

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
The blue mopars are the gts-r wires right? I also understand they're longer than they need to be so I didn't go with them (they're also the priciest).

The Magnecors I have I got from JonB and are 8.5mm IIRC. I ditched the stock plug shields and put on those ceramic socks too. Makes changing plugs a bit easier, not that it was really hard tho. I think they were around $85 but I can't exactly remember so don't quote me.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody got a good price for 10mm Magnecors?

Any good reason to use 8.5mm vs. 10mm, or vice versa?

What are those ceramic socks you speak of - do you mean easier to pull off than the rubber things that pop onto the spark plug ends?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
No, you know those gold colored cyllinders that you slide the plugs down into to start them threading? They're insulators that protect the wire boot from heat and they just pull out of the hole they're in (they're just pressed in). I got rid of them and went with ceramic socks that cover the plug and wire boot. With the magnecors, I think you have to do this because I'm not sure their larger rubber boots fit in the stock metal plug insulators.

You could try out those new wires that JohnH mentioned here a few weeks back. They come in nifty colors and have built-in insulators IIRC.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, think I'll go with 10mm Magnecors the next go around, maybe the CN series to be sure to minimize any RFI, and see if I still have any problems then.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have the 10mm Magnecor wires and get static in my speakers. I solved the problem with filters that plug in between the aftermarket amplifier and the speakers (as opposed to the power line). You might have to try a couple of different methods to get rid of the static.

A good car audio shop should be able to help you get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info, sounds like I need filters first, then worry about plug wires...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts