Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Radar Detector and Suction Cups

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  viper spray 
#1 ·
I got my Valentine One radar detector yesterday from their factory in Cincinnati, Ohio.

My big question is: [color:"blue"]How safe are the suction cups to the windshield to hold the Valentine One to the windshield without falling off?[/color]

And this question: [color:"blue"]Will the suction cups stay on the windshield and hold the Valentine One safely taking the Viper out and driving it like it was made to be driven? [/color]

Enquiring minds want to know. /images/graemlins/drive

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can, get creative and find another way to mount it without using the suction cups. That thing WILL fall using the suction cups. However both suction cups don't usually fail at the same time, so it's not very likely the whole thing will fall off onto the dash.

#3 ·
Kenny:
Been stuck to my windshield for 2 years. Had a bit of trouble at first. Clean the glass THOROUGHLY where you will place the suction cups. Use some saliva (no kidding) inside the cups and affix them on the windscreen. They'll stay there forever.

#4 ·
Agreed. I've had my V1 suction-cupped to the windshield for three years. No problems at all. I put it above the rear-view mirror. The only time it has come loose is when I knocked it with my hand sliding the V1 into its clip, and even that is extremely rare.

Don't put the detector down on the dash. The higher you position it, the better range you'll get, particularly in a car as low as the Viper. I believe the test I saw indicated the dash versus the top of the windshield was good for about a half-mile range difference.

On the other hand, the V1 is so kick-ass I've had it cleanly pick up radar and show steadily increasing strength starting a good two miles away from the cop -- while it was jammed in a tray under the dashboard (in my pickup) with absolutely zero direct-line exposure to a window.

#5 ·
CitySnake said:
Kenny:
Been stuck to my windshield for 2 years. Had a bit of trouble at first. Clean the glass THOROUGHLY where you will place the suction cups. Use some saliva (no kidding) inside the cups and affix them on the windscreen. They'll stay there forever.
Exactly, lick it and stick it. However, I don't use the suction cups, preferring to go with the visor clamp since I often park with the top off and have to quickly shuck the V1 off and stash it while I'm away from the vehicle.

#7 ·
Just another note for people who have their V1s installed above the mirror.

The other day I got tired of my power cable so I went down to radio shack and got some phone cable and wired my V1 straight to the car (12v switched) so it would turn on and off with the car, the wire is easy to route and I am pretty happy with how easy it was to do.

#10 ·
I've had mine suction cupped for three years no problem with hard driving, although I always remove it when at the track of course...

I mounted mine right under the mirror b/c that position had a better line to the rear. Above the mirror was blocked by the roof to the rear on my GTS...

#11 ·
I've found that mounting it just below the mirror in both my Viper and my Ram truck is the best place for it.

I've also discovered you guys with the advice to wet the suction cups first are totally right - I couldn't get it to even get the slightest bit loose with some spirited driving in my Viper. Thanks. /images/graemlins/smiles

#12 ·
Jack --

I've been thinking about wiring to the courtesy lights too, but I was told that it was a better idea to wire to a switched source. That way you can just leave the V1 turned on and it will just come on when you turn the ignition switch. The courtesy light circuit is hot all the time. I'm still searching for the right spot . . .

#13 ·
Hisserman said:
Jack --

I've been thinking about wiring to the courtesy lights too, but I was told that it was a better idea to wire to a switched source. That way you can just leave the V1 turned on and it will just come on when you turn the ignition switch. The courtesy light circuit is hot all the time. I'm still searching for the right spot . . .
I ran my wire down to the fuse box and found a switched 12 to attach it to, works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.