Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all you racers have racing harnesses in your cars? I find I need to brace myself (leg against door, etc.), gets tiring. Are you using Teamtech 6-point? Are you doing passenger side also (for instructor)? Looks like a time consuming install. Thanks for your thoughts.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/pano/panels/-5595.png[/image]

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
The install is pretty easy. I can do both sides in about 3 hours. Not that I'm great or anything, just that it isn't too difficult. SoCal is right about cutting the bulkhead being the most difficult/nerve racking part. The TeamTechs are the best available and in my opinion, why skimp on safety?

my .02,

DN

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That's on my winter to-do list then. It sounds like the template will help me feel more comfortable about cutting into the car. Is there a general preference between the 5 or 6 point?

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/pano/panels/-3671.png[/image]

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Definitely do both sides. Often an instructor won't ride with you if you have a harness and they don't, and rightly so. Janni Cone's instructions are great, and if you play around with Adobe Acrobat a little, you can get the templates to print a 1:1 scale which makes things a lot easier.

Most people arrange the installation to retain the stock belts, but I just removed them and use the 6-points full-time. Once you're used to them, they only take a few seconds more to click together... and after you get used to them, NO regular three-pointer seatbelt feels safe. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

One lap will convince you, it's one of the best investments you can make in a car you track.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Just a couple more data points...

I have a Sparco pro2000 race seat with TeamTech 5pts. I can swap the seat out with the stock seat very easily.

Keep the 3pt factory belts, racing belts are not legal on the street and if a cop is so inclined, he will ticket you for no seatbelt if you're only using your race belts.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Mark Young said:
Keep the 3pt factory belts, racing belts are not legal on the street and if a cop is so inclined, he will ticket you for no seatbelt if you're only using your race belts.
True, but after doing a lot of asking & searching (both on the morgue and on other forums), I've never been able to find anyone who has actually been cited for this.

I agree with SoCal, I'd go with 5 points if I could do it over again. I was worried about The Jewels, but after riding in some cars with fives, they're a lot more comfortable, and they afford a bit more room if you decide to keep your stock belts. When mine hit their expiration date, I'm switching to 5-pointers.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I'm a real skinny guy, so for me, the teamtechs are nice because of the breastbone strap. I think if I was in a wreck in normal belts they might snap my chest, or I could slide through, or who knows what. But I agree that, in general, the TTs are a lot of straps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've heard that ViperDays instructors won't even ride in your car if they don't get the same safety items that the drivers get. Makes sense to me! I wouldn't do it either.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
I have 5 points and still have to brace myself in the cockpit. I've been seriously considering a racing seat as my next HP mod. All the suspension work I've done is really working me over in the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Dean, add the seat. Its the best $500 you'll ever spend. I can swap my stock seat and Sparco in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Are the harnesses sold by Snakeoyl any good? My Mother-in-law is buying harnesses for me for Christmas... and I am not sure where to send her?

Lance

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I've heard the snake oyl ones are on the cheesy side, specifically that the "logo" is just a sticker and it comes off. YMMV. With something as important as harnesses, I'd go with a namebrand (though I'm sure SO's are re-branded). Also, go with a company that will re-web them for you when they expire.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Actually the Snake-Oyl Harnesses are pretty darn good. They are FIA certified and Cory is pretty good about keeping them in date -- this is key with any harness. I have had both the Team Techs and the Snake -Oyls and though I like both, I preferred the Snake Oyls. I could never get the TeamTechs to not chafe my neck, but this may have been due to the use of the stock seat. I agree with Mark that a seat is a big help, but if you stay with the stock one, the Snake Oyls are easier to adjust for comfort. If you get a Sparco seat, go with the TeamTechs, as their brace in the sternum area is a very common sense safety item. You want to always get the wide belts ( stay away from 2 inch like the plague ) in whatever brand you get. Good luck and you will see a noticeable drop in your time when you get them installed.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Yet another point...

If you are considering a HANS, which I am going to go with whenever I find enough time to get back into racing, there is a consideration on belts. See the hans website. Specifically, a sternum strap such as the TeamTechs is a no-no I believe (though I love it), and they also recommend a certain width of belt, though it does work with any width.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts