Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
typically ive got 93 octane in my car. since ive heads/cam/nitrous, is it worth running racegas on the track?? if so, what ratio/amount and what octane

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was also wondering; since i wont be making any additional VEC2 adjustments (such as timing) would increasing the octane even benefit at all?? isnt the reason for adding higher octane is to allow for timing changes to benefit the car? so, if i add race gas, toluene/xylene, whatever, i assume i also need to alter my current vec2 settings right??

·
Registered
581 Posts
To gain power you would need to modify your tune because because the car won't detect the higher octane and advance the timing for you. The other reason to run higher octane is simply as insurance, to give you an extra safety margin, particularly if your tune is pretty aggressive. The thing you have to be aware of is that it is also possible to "over-octane" a car--i.e., higher octane fuel burns slower, and if it's way too high for your particular combination, you will lose power by slowing down the burn rate. If your car runs well on 93 or 94, 100 might give you a little extra safety margin without causing any problems, but I'd stay away from anything higher than that unless you're going to modify your tune. I don't know how nitrous affects the situation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Rich I took a can of VP 103 Uhleaded to the dyno when Jack helped me set up my VEC 2. We upped the timing starting at around 2500 and added one degree total at 5600. No difference in the numbers from our best program on 94 octane. In fact the notch cam back.

PS: the track tells me they have Unleaded race gas in Columbus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.