Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everybody's transmission synchros too tight to quick shift or is it possible to break them in to be slippery?

My 03 Mustang Mach 1 had a Tremec in 5 spd and I could literally keep my foot on the gas the entire quarter mile and bump my clutch as I grabbed each gear. Slippery as hell and very pisitive engagement when the stick landed in position. I am talking milliseconds to shift that car, like the gears just fell into place.

My 03 Viper was a pre-owned stock equipped car that had 35000 when I bought it. 3 months later, while coming home with my 'ex' wife in normal traffic I shifted into 2nd and let out on the clutch and 2nd gear grenaded. I wasn't even in the gas very much. City driving. So the trans was replaced with a new unit from Dodge warranty ($12,000 it cost them, I saw the invoice from where it shipped from overseas). With 37000 miles on the car it now had a new trans and I also installed a Fidanza f/w and. Spec Stage 2+ clutch assembly. Now after 6 years and 60000 miles the gears are so sticky I have to wait for the synchros to allow the shifter to gate fully. Almost like I pull/push to the next gate and wait for it to 'fall' into place when it finally wants to. There is no way I could risk bump shifting like I did my Stang or I could miss-shift and overrev.

I don't understand why it hasn't limbered up after that many miles. Not that I want to drag race the car, just curious if all Viper Tremecs are like this?

Thanks,
Cdover73

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Transmission fluid makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really!!! That's what goes in there?!!.....would that be ATF+4 or DOT 3...:LOL:

I hope you meant that as in the type/brand gear oil you use makes a difference,, not as in making sure it has oil in it! That's like a tv customer service rep asking if the TV is plugged in...

It's full of fluid. Not to say it has the 'correct' or 'best' fluid though. Whatever they put in at the dealership when they installed the new trans. Probably the cheapest they could find.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I don't seem to have that issue with my 03, with the TR6060 PPG sequential.

·
DEETOO
1,608 Posts
I use ATF +4 In my 03. It’s better than the castrol for me. The t56 sucks at shifting fast. It’s like shifting a battleship.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the T-3650 in the mustang and the Viper is the T-56 if I remember correctly. The 6060 came in later that year I believe. The mustang shited smoothly, quickly, and positively. The Viper is stiff, notchy, and hesitant. The trans has about 20,000 miles on it and it hasn't gotten better/looser.

Btw, ATF+4 is AUTO TRANSMISSION FLUID. Am I reading it wrong or is it real that you are using ATF in your manual transmission? I use the gear oil it calls for. Should I be using a thinner fluid like ATF?

·
DEETOO
1,608 Posts
Yes ATF in a manual trans. ATF is factory fill for a lot of manual transmissions. I’ve had mine all apart and switched to it with everything clean. It’s what I chose to use YMMV.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Lose the T56, install a TR6060, fill with GM Dexron VI ... Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts