Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions on 3m \"clear bra\" protective plastic

Does anyone have any the new 3m "clear bra" protective coating on the front of their car? I have seen it on at least one viper.

Fast

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
Re: Questions on 3m \"clear bra\" protective plastic

im gonna get it this spring on the front fascia.

·
Ace Pounder
17,732 Posts

I was thinking about that too. What have you heard?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts

Car that are not even driven everyday it leaves a line where it was when removed. Those that drive everyday it really leaves a line. Almost like a tape line. It can be gotten off but requires a lot of work w/ clay magic. Also they are more visible than they lead you to believe.

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts

Friend paid to have this put on his Comp Coupe (Kenny) It looks GREAT - hardly noticable. It was on Bob Woodhouse's Comp Coupe and protected that wonderful paint (didn't do much to help at Road America, I'm afraid....)

I suspect that you can get some build up along the edges, but that shouldn't be big deal to get off if you ever remove the clear bra.

Saw a 1996 that had been hit that had it installed and you really had to look hard to see it on there. The nose was perfectly clean - none of those clear coat dents you get from hitting bugs at high speeds.

I might put it on my 2003 since it's a daily driver and will have dead bugs stuck on it for a while at a time. Yes, I drive the car and don't clean it every time I go to the store and back.....

Cheap protection, IMO, and this is coming from someone who gets great deals on paint / bodywork....

·
Irredeemable
9,343 Posts

I agree. I saw it on SW's cars and it looked great. I will be installing it on my Viper and the E55.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I have it on 5 of my cars. It really depends on the installer, they can make the difference on what it looks like. I had my local guy custom cut the clear bra for my Trans Ams. He put strips of it behind each wheel and all the spoilers. I have a great installer here in Austin if anyone needs one put on.

SW

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

Ive got so many rock chips on the front of my benz that I already want to have the front fascia repainted. Clear bra next time.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

Seems that there is enough interest here to set up a group buy. Anyone know who to contact?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts

I would DEFINATELY be interested in a group buy!

·
Premium Member
523 Posts

I have it and a little alcohol cleans up the lines real easy. But anyways...you can't see the lines unless you look real close

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

Sign me up ! I've heard nothing but good thinks about this product .

:cheers:

JEff

·
Registered
191 Posts

Smokin, do you know anyone in Houston that installs it?

Andy

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

I was disappointed with it on my dually. Maybe it was the installer, but I decided to pull it off and there were numerous lines permanently cut into the paint.

The problem is that if you get a ding or rock chip in the clear bra, it leaves a mark (gouge, cut, rip) that can't be removed (without removing the clear bra). At least if my paint gets chipped, I can have it wet sanded or if necessary repainted to remove the chip.

The only other problem I see is that there IS a visible line on the car where the clear bra ends and the paint begins. For me, I just have the fascia repainted every year or so and it looks like new and I don't have the clear bra lines.

·
Registered
982 Posts

We use it on our race car (porshe 911GT3 Cup car), and it works great. Also have it on a couple other cars. There are some Kits they sell that form to parts of specific cars.
If you have it stop along a body panel, you will see a line where it ends. Its a definate must for road race cars, especially over decals.
And I agree, its all in the installer, they make or break it.

Tom
SMS Racing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts