Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to ViperAlley and also a newb as a Viper owner. I have had mustang and vettes but when I drove a Viper - I was hooked. The first one I bought was a GEN1 with a ROE supercharger. It was meant to be a project car and I was going to flip It. I kept it and drove it for awhile and then sold it. I missed it so much I ended up buying a 2006 GEN3. I also bought a 2000 project. That is another story :) .

I was hoping you all could help me out with the issue I am having. When I drive the car, it feels unsecure. I don’t want to say it drifts, but the steering doesn’t feel like it should. I am referring more to how it handles. In other words, I feel like I have to have both hands on the steering wheel to get a better feeling of control. Even I don’t have confidence in the car to take a curve super tight or to push the car to situations where you use extreme steering control. It doesn’t have play in the wheel. I am not sure if it has something to do with the tires or what the issue is. I have the Michelin Pilots. Does it need new shocks? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I certainly apologize if this has been covered in a previous post, when I searched I couldn't find anything that was similar to my issue.

Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some of the things I would check:

How old are the tires?
Check the rack bushings.
OEM suspension? Any leaking or noises from it?

Alignment specs make a big difference but I’d look at that after the “free” checks above

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The suspension is OEM, no leaks or noises. It has 33k miles. I will check out the rack bushings - is there play? Or do the move if they are bad? Tires are 8 years old. As far as alignment is concerned where do you typically take your Viper? Dealer only?

·
Registered
785 Posts
The suspension is OEM, no leaks or noises. It has 33k miles. I will check out the rack bushings - is there play? Or do the move if they are bad? Tires are 8 years old. As far as alignment is concerned where do you typically take your Viper? Dealer only?
8 year old tires should be replaced IMHO but probably not your issue. I have the same exact feel in my car (98 GTS). I've replaced all suspension components as I found a few bad pieces and it still feels the same. For my car I think it's the rear alignment, caster specifically as that is the only thing I can't check myself and everything else is spot on (Rear - toe & camber; front - Caster, camber and toe). For getting it checked the place needs to be able to check rear caster and you need to make sure they are a competent and quality shop as laziness can mess up the camber bolts real quick. That's actually why I'm stuck is I haven't found a place like that where I live that I trust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely agree with you - finding a place is difficult. I appreciate your feedback. I will replace the tires. 8 years is certainly borderline if not in the red!! Now, I know to check the rear caster. I have driven it around town and put on ~1500 miles - but do you think it is safe to drive?

Appreciate the feedback/replies

·
Registered
489 Posts
I purchased a 2003 SRT-10 in 2010 with original tires. I had a 150 mile trip home and was not pleased with the handling. The car darted, drifted and was essentially undriveable. Small bumps caused the car to overreact. I replaced the tires and all went away. I was going to sell the car if the problem persisted ....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Read this thread-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Read this thread-

Thank you Recluse. Of course there is no reply if it fixed the issue or not! :) But they are easy to replace. I will certainly order them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts